Sharp Knife, First Time-Everytime

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by SubnetZero, Jan 5, 2008.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    There was a Thread a while back about sharpening Knives.. I recently Sharpened some of the Wifes Kitchen Knives and got high praise. Anyone thats been married for a number of years knows "High praise" About anything very seldom happens :wink:

Anyways, I figured it was time for me to sharpen up my bag knife I carry and I thought I'd post on how I do it. This particular Knife was one of many my Father handed down to me. Its probably AT LEAST 40 - 45 years old..

I use a Lansky System. It consists of a holder, rods, and stones. The Stones In my kit are an LS 120 Coarse, LS 280 Medium, and a LS 600 Fine. They are color coded Red, Green and Blue respectively.

The Holder "Holds" the knife and has different edge degree slots you can use (30, 25, 20, and 17), depending on what degree of edge you want. The lower the degree, the sharper the knife but will need sharpened more frequently. Higher degree is not as sharp, but will stay sharp longer. I generally use a 20 or 25 degree edge for my general knives.

Attached Files:

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    IF your changing the degree of the edge or if your sharpening a new knife the first time, you'll start with the coarse, then medium, then fine. For resharpening with same edge you can usually get away with just the medium then fine depending on how bad the blade was abused.

After putting the rods into the stone, Start by putting a drop or two on the stone and spreading a thin film across it. Work each side of the blade from bottom to tip

Attached Files:

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Then move on to your next stone doing the same thing. Oil then work both sides of the Blade.

Attached Files:

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    After working through your stones, you'll end up with a very sharp knife.
    Put a thin coat of oil on the blade and remember ITS SHARP, so be careful its doesn't bite ya :big_smile:

I have a very nice stone, but the Lansky system makes it idiot proof for an idiot like me and thats a hard feature to beat :wink:

Attached Files:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tim,I use the Smiths system,Basically the same set up only a bit cheaper. It does a superb job of putting an edge on all our knives . my wife is partial to her Chicago cutlery kitchen set so if they get dull I hear it.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a Lansky myself. There based from my town here in Henderson Nevada. Awesome system.

7. bc179whitetail

bc179whitetail New Member

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    Tim,

You are right the lansky kit saved me a couple years ago. I couldn't sharpen a knife to cut butter. I use mine all the time.

8. Tim Digerness

Tim Digerness New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've used Lanskey sharpeners for years and I swear by them, I tried a Gatco system once, the Jig was terrible but the diamond stones were ok. So now I use the lanskey Jig and the Gatco diamond stones, It works for me and I guess thats all that matters!! LOL

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Those Diamond Stones sounds nice.. Though, These will probably last me forever

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I guess I was lucky because my grandfather tought me how to sharpen a knife with just about anything even card board so I never needed one of the fancy knife sharpeners.

11. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have one of them and they are pretty good. im more the kind of guy that puts a knofe aside after its dull and them i never use it again. i have a spyderco and a gerber in my desk in the same drawer as my sharpener, and i bet i never get to it. but its still the only sharpener ive ever used without messing up my edge. and i also have to say that 3 and one oil in your pic is the oldest can i think ive ever seen lol

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I've got the 5 stone kit. The base holder that you can get for them also makes the job a little easier. My arms and lower legs usually are just about bald when I shapen knives. LOL

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I learned to sharpen with a arkansas stone and a good carbon steel rod when I was a pup. These new systems are just easier. I like the way they have 80 grit to 1000 grit.

14. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    1 x 30 belt sanders sharpens blades fast and cheaply. Just be sure to keep the blade cool. :big_smile:

15. fishing bum

fishing bum New Member

State:
    Victoria Texas
    Tim

I have been using that system for a long time. Have had real good luck with it

16. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have a Gatco just like the Lansky but I prefer to use a 2 stone setup from Gander Mountain its about 3 bucks and is great.

17. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Lansky has a good system. I use it and, a ceramic stik for touch-ups!:wink:

18. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    nice system & also a nice knife, looks like u have two little guys to pass it down to after u:wink: