Sharp hooks?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Dave L, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I find that after a few casts my hook starts to get dull and when it does I resharpen to better my chances of a hook up.
    I have a liittle diamond folding file I keep in my tackle box it works slick it also works excelent for bait knife and any other cutting edges.It always stays sharp, unlike steel files, and they don't rust as long as you clean it and dry it before you put it away.:big_smile:
    Handy as heck. I found it when I was looking for something to sharpen carbide router bits.
    Cost of hooks can add up so I try to get the most out of them as possible.

What do others do? Change hook, throw away?

I thought I would share this with you.
    http://www.dmtsharp.com/

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Dave, thanks for the great tip there buddy! I will get one!

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I use Gamakatsu hooks. You won't find a sharper hook anywhere. And they seem to hold their point plenty well. I've never sharpened a hook in my life...

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Some of the hooks marketed these days are chemically sharpened. Mechanically sharpening them can decrease the sharpness.

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    picked this up for $5 at walmart. Works like a champ... about 45 seconds with that and a hook is point is like a needle :big_smile:

6. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Yes I resharpen hooks. Hook are like broadheads, they can never be too sharp. When I was a kid my dad and I fished snag lines and I would check and sharpen 1000 hooks a week. So doing a few now seems like nothing. grizzly

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The eagle claw kahle hooks that I use are razor sharp straight out of the box so there is no need to sharpen them. I fish heavy structure for the most part and rarely keep a hook long enough to need re-sharpening. If I'm not loosing hooks I'm probably not catching fish.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Alabama red rock aka whetstone

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for posting,but I'd rather have on hand hooks that don't need sharpening.I guess I'm lazy,ha heehee.:big_smile: pk powell

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I am using J hooks I find they get dull pretty quick, I guess because the point is exposed when reeling in..When I use Circle hooks they hardly ever get dull.I just put on a new hook when one gets dull.

11. ivan09193

ivan09193 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I get new ones. It's less economical, but it saves time.

12. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have an empty compartment in my hook box for dull hooks. if i dull one, i will change it and stick the dull hook in the " dull hook " compartment for sharpening at a later date. which in most cases is a much later date. like when i start getting low on hooks.