Sharon Fleming:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Nov 7, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You wrote in a post on another thread yesterday your discomfort with me and my appreciation of snakes. People usually find a lot of ways to feel discomfort around me, and snakes are one of them. They give ya the hebbiejeebies, 'eh. They make ya sweat, 'eh. Have nightmares about them, do ya? Make your skin crawl and get goosebumps around them, 'eh. Don't want to step on one do ya? Don't want one to be over your head, do ya?

Sharon, I like snakes. I think they are cool creatures of our maker. If he can make humans like they are, who are at times worse than snakes, then I have no problem with snakes. Someplace over in Becky's Storytelling I wrote a story about my brother and I teasing my Mother with a snake. I think it was called "Of Boxing Gloves and Snakes." Take a look at it, my brother and I paid the price for that tease.

My Mother loathed snakes. She always kept a hoe handy to dismember them or a dog she would train to kill them. She died this March, but last fall she called me frantic and proud. "Johnnie! I just killed the biggest bullsnake I have ever seen" Cool Ma how did you get close to it? "He was in the driveway, and I didn't want to get close to it, so I got the car out and drove over it a half dozen times!" "But Johnnie, I have a problem." Yes ma I said. "It's in the driveway next to the road and I can't get my mail. Can you come down and remove it?" Now, I loved my Mother dearly, but that was a one hour and 45 minute drive one way. Thinking fast on my feet, I said why don't you call "Pete" my brother-in-law and have him move it. That was a half hour drive for him. "That's a good idea, I'll call him." She did and he did. He told me later it was the biggest snake he had ever seen. Ah, Ma the killer.

I got lots of snake stories Sharon, just thought I would share that one with you. I know you might be having breakfast when you read this so I won't tell you any more, for now. LOL.

Hey, anybody got any goose bump cream for people who don't like snakes?

Postbeetle.

2. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Thanks for ruining my breakfast:tounge_out:
    Sharon

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    So now that the frying pan is empty are you gonna get ole Postbeetle?

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Chop off the head, peel the skin off, gut and wash. Cut in 2 inch sections, bread and fry golden brown... Ummm Ummm !! never met a snake I did't like.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yeah they make good bait too. i dont mind snakes. i dont bother them and they dont bother me. i dont mind spders or scorpions either. they dont really affect me one bit.

6. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    snakemeat is good eatin' !!

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont mind a snake if I know where he is at.
    Its those surprises like squatting down and laying some brick to fill in old vent holes in an old tobacco barn.
    As I take my trowel to scoop up a bit of mud between my legs I see a snake head.
    not any snake head but a snake head attached to a 6 foot body and thick as my wrist. Ididnt know how big he was until I was in flight grabbing a shovel as I went airborn.
    That sends me into a killing rage.

He struck and missed, I parried with a round point shovel leaning against the wall and didnt miss.
    That was probally the most intense moment of my life.

I know why he was pissed. I was closing up his door. Several years worth of his skins were still hanging in the tier poles of that barn.

Crawling under an old house or through an old attic trying to track down a broken wire and run across the snake, the snake is going to lose.
    He has got to go one way or the other.

One day I was setting HVAC units at a new house.
    I needed a few cinder block so I go to another new house next door and throw half a dozen in the truck.
    My guess is this snake was in one of the block and remained so until it was in the truck.
    Later I needed a can of glue that had gotten shoved up under the toolbox.
    I leaned over the side of the truck and stuck my head down level with the bed to find that can of glue.
    A snake struck at my face. He barely missed but I banged my head on an AC unit.
    Fatal mistake for the snake. I'd have torched the truck to prove I could kill him.

I have no problem with snakes at your house. I do at mine.:big_smile:

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I think that snakes are one of the least understood animals that exist. They always get a bad rep from people thinking that they are mean or cunning or slimy etc...Im an animal lover and snakes are on my list of top three favorite.
    The "big 3" (anacaondas, pythons, boas..) are my favorite. If handled correctly, people can learn alot and more importantly, teach kids how to respect them without fearing them. Very few other animals are a such good examples of natural evlution. I could go on and on here but the fact is, snakes are an important part of our ecological balance.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I forgot an interesting one.
    There was new shop built on the farm. One of those big metal buildings.
    I ran all of the counduit and put covers on all of my boxes because dirtdobbers clog conduit up.
    The next week I was coming back to pull wire.

I came back to pull wire. I climbed a ladder to pull off a junction box lid. The box was 4"x4"x2" deep. I got the cover off and out rolls a black snake 3 feet long.
    This still perplexes me. The conduit was 1/2" thinwall that was supplying the box.
    He lived because I was too busy sliding down the ladder and having a heart attack while he hauled boogie.

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I would like to know what kinds of snakes you fellers eat. I've heard of eating rattlesnakes of course, but are there any other types you like to put on the dinner table?

Thanks for the story John. I'd like to see a picture of your mom sometime, so I can put a face with the memories you pass on to us. Still sitting here chuckling, imaginin' her makin' SURE that snake was dead :big_smile:. My much loved grandmother had a "snake hoe" too. It's still out in the shed :wink:.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I never ate a snake, but I think I want too. Is one snake as good as the next for eating? I'm wondering too. I guess if I posted in 'What's for supper?' that I ate some snake, and someone asked "Oh yeah, what kind?" It wouldn't be too cool to say "Eh, a rat snake." It would be much cooler to say rattlesnake.

I like snakes for the most part.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Too many cows and hogs around to resort to eating a snake.:wink:

13. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've read articles about South American tribes that eat boa meat. I always imagine it to be on the tough side since its all strong muscle tissue?

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I'm with you postbeetle, I like snakes. I used to own a reptile store and actually used to breed them. I was a member of SWHS, South Western Herp... Society. That was in So. Cal. I kept Milk, Corn, Rat, King, Gopher, and the American Beauty the Rosy Boa. Pic Enclosed of the Rosy Boa

Attached Files:

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well, if you all had seen the two Western Diamond Back Rattlesnakes that I encountered, one each of the two last weekends you'd have the heebie jeebies I'll tell you. I didn't see either one of them until I was about ten feet away. And don't bother with what you see in the old westerns, neither snake rattled, although the rattle was sticking up in the air.

Snake was about 5 foot long and thick, scared the you know what out of me.

Thats two rattlesnakes in two weekends.:eek:oooh::crazy::crazy::crazy: Both of them gigantic!

Here is a pic I snapped of one. Sorry about the head being partially out of the picture.

Attached Files:

16. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I heard a funny story about a rubber snake at deer camp.
    This guy was really skeered of snakes, didnt want anything to do with them Im sure you know somone like that.Anyway some of the guys thought it would be funny to put a big ol rubber snake in this guys tree blind.So the 1st day of the season this guy climbs up into his tree.As he gets to the stand he puts his hand around this snake. He sreemed like a child and fell 15 feet. He broke his arm and didnt get to hunt for the whole season. I dont know how true this story is. but I thought I would share it with y,all smokey

17. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ozzy,
    That is too cool brother! I think that I came across that web site a while back when i was looking to adopt a rescued python (I think that is the same society?). I used to own a Columbian Red Tail that I had for years until she died and I also caught a baby rattler on my back patio once while I was stationed in Ca. While I never handled it, it was really facinating to feed it. My kids and I learned a lot from watching that snake strike and wait to eat...I even wanted to get into breeding...I also got to thinking about it would take to open a store of my own after I retire from the corps.