Shark

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Gator, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I know I am not the only one here that fishes for shark. I have recived about 40 different emails from different people here with questions on sharkfishing. So I though I would start this thread so we could all lear from each other and share ideas as well.

2. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    what type of shark do u guys mostly fish for? i think it would be fun to tear into a nice 15ft tiger.

3. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Jim, I didn't realise where u were from. my dad always warned me about there since he got a ticket there as a teenager(LOL)
    anyway, I've snuck thru numerous times no problem. guess a diffrent officer was workin, whatcha think?
    anyway, I used to shark fish in fla and looked into the mouth of several 12-13 ft tigers back when they held tournaments off the Flagler Beach pier. I used to enjoy a 3-4' sandshark on my pole, oh, they taste good too!
    maby I need to go back and try some more?

4. yellowcat

yellowcat New Member

State:
    Hot springs, NC
    I love catching sharks but I don't live on the coast so I only get to catch them once a year when we go to Flaboys backyard. We usually fish just off the beach and catch some good size sharks. Not any 12-13 ft but a couple 6-7 ft. Can't wait till the 3rd week in Oct. when I will be back out there watching the line sing through the water.

5. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I spent a week in Florida, and i watched some guys shark fish. it was kind of like catfishing. the only difference i saw was that they put the weight right at the hook to keep the bait on the bottom. They were using large pieces of cut bait from whatever they could catch.(catfish, spadefish, whiting, eels). I saw a guy catch a 9 ft. lemon shark. He said he caught an 11 ft. lemon two weeks before that. they were catching a lot of blacktip sharks, they were about 3-4 ft. I wanted to try it, but i didn't have big enough tackle or equipment.

6. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i do shark fish here in north carolina and largest shark so far is around 900 lbs. caught off oak island. there are bigger and nicer ones but make sure you check local laws and go as a buddy system. not goood to fish for these large guys alone. if anyone ever wants to go call me we can paln something.

7. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Gator, I would love to go with you some time. It has always been my dream to catch a REALLY BIG shark! My Mom has a place 30 minutes from Flagler beach. When is the best time of the year to go?

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Iwill fish for most any shark in the water, but we mostly catch Bull's and Sandbar's running 6 to 8 foot. I have got 14 foot Sandbar Tigers up next to the boat but you can not keep them so we cut them loss. As for the best time is May to October. But any one wanting to go with me one day just give me a call or shot me a PM and we will work it out.

9. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Whats up Jim? Well I tried and tried to get the Black tip when we went to Destin. I just couldn't get past the sand bar. The rumor was that the sand bar was gone. Thats a lie, its further out. I was using half ladyfish on a #12 hook, 5' 93lb leader, 4 oz. piramid on 50 lb line. The second night I tried to walk out to the sand bar and made it up to my neck in the water. Turned around when I thought about the bloody lady trailing behind me in the water. I posted somewhere else in here on this, but I can't find where. But we are heading to cape canaveral in 6 weeks. Any chance in dragging one in down there?

Matt

10. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Matt, south of cape canaveral abt 100 miles is sebastian inlet. there used to be a critter that came thru there nicknamed the cape canaveral express. story was he had streightened out hooks and broken everything including ropes tied to the pilings with old tires in the middle for shock asorbers. plus the annual migration of hammerheads along the beaches following the schooling mullet. Yes, I'd say there were some there! as mentioned above, they used to have a shark fishing tournament at the flagler beach pier, course they stopped about when Donna took off the end of the pier in 58 (I think) its rebuilt but they started charging to fish at nite there about 1990. (nites used to be free)

11. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Matt, the story was that when the cape canaveral express came thru, he grabbed the bait and headed to cape canaveral, nonstop! :D

12. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Matt I would say the chances are very good. I do know if you saw the vido Paul did at the gathering here in Georgia of the guy's trying to cast my 12/0 or not, but if you did you seen the reel. Well it got spooled yesterday afternoon at about 1 P.M. I had just flotet it about 50 yards behing the boat and locked it into the rod holded and forgot to set the clicker. I was using a 18lb Bonita for bait. I was fixing me a sandwhich and heard what sounded like the wind blowing trough the line when I turned around and that 130# class rod looked like a a big "C". I straped in and set the hook and started tightening the drag and all we could do was watch as 850 yars of Big Game 80# line went swimming. Our anchor got hung and they could not get it off the bottom we had to cut the anchor rope to get free and buy the time they did that and started the motor it was to late. When that line snaped it sounded like a rifle going off. Not sur what is was but there have been several reports of a tiger shark in that area the is running about 15 foot and reported to go almost 1000 to 1300 pounds by the boloigest who have seen him, accourding to the DNR guy who saw him on friday hes said he belived it to be abou 16 foot and a lot closer to 1800 pounds, both of them said it was the bigest shark they have ever seen and the largest ever seen by the local shrimpers in the area. They say that if this shark was ever caught not only were you looking at a new state record but possibly a world record as well. All I know is we were on a 20 foot Great white fishing boat and the captin said his boat was not big enough for a fish that could do that to a 12/0 sentor..LOL

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Just think of all those steaks you let get away Jim.
    Wish I had been there for that.

14. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Jim, you tha man. I have dreamed for a long time for the chance of that to happen to me. unfortunately about a 4' is the most I've ever caught
    :eek:

15. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Well ya'll could offer to respool my reel....LOL At 2.1 to 1 thats a lot of cranking....LOL not to even think of the cost almost $90.00 buck worth of line. I did here to day from a guy at the Brayn county seafood docks that the Miss Gail had a net tore up out nede the CAT bouy by 2 big Tigers. That Bouy is only about 2 miles from where I had my hook up. They have been catching a lot of Sandbars and bull sharks out there up untill about 4 weeks ago. That is also about the same time that the Big Tigers showed up. There were 2 confirmed hook ups of these big sharks also. One guy said he fought with the one he had hooked for about a hour before it broke off. He was using a Penn Interation 130TW with a 180# dracron line and he said that the shark almost spooled him twice and broke off when they tried to tag him.

16. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Now ya got me wantin to get me a kayak and get goin!!! think of the ride!!!!

17. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    LOL I would PAY to see a 1000lb+ mass of cartilage, muscle, and teeth landed in a kayak. I think it would be more of the shark landing the kayaker, than vice-versa!

18. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    it would be another episode of "The Old Man and The Sea" except not in cuba. one of my all time favorite movies!!
    Oh, it was based on a book by pappy hemingway for you youngsters info. LOL

19. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    How about

"..I think we're going to need a bigger boat..." :0a23:

20. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Cook that did eneter my mind. That reel has a 60 pound dead weight drag system and that only pissed this fish off. I am not sure what it was I know I was fishing for shark but there are some big fish out there and this was one of them or else a shrimp boat got my line but I did not see one close enought to have done that unless he was draging a good 700 yards behind his boat that is..