Shark from the beach

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Dec 26, 2005.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I shark fish in Nags head, going tommorow or tuesday matter of fact.....but not for sharks, but for Big 30+ lb stripers......get to test out a few of my new poles.....LOL :D

For sharks I just get any big fresh bloody bait, huge 10/0+ J-hooks, 30 lb test line, and fish in the surf and off the piers for them....mostly have lost my biggest sharks but almost always hook at least one big one every trip. Catch almost all of the ones from 3-6 ft.

Good luck, Zakk :)

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I belonged to 'Suncoast Sharkers', a shark fishing club in the Clearwater, Florida area when I lived down there. The club owned a 12' aluminum boat for the purpose of rowing the bait out much further then anyone could cast. As with any surf fishing, you'll want to check out the location of the 'bars' paralleling the shoreline; there will often be several of these sandbars, each one further out, with deep water between them. And I found that just about any species of shark but hammerhead is excellent eating. Hammerheads have a kind of ammonia taste that most people, including me, dislike.

3. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    jtrew i live in brandon(tampa bay area) i go to clearwater allot for work,i fish all over the place down here and never heard of the suncoast sharkers... i would like to here more.....

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know if they are still in existance. I tried to look them up on the internet, and didn't find anything. I left there in 1983 when I moved back to Arkansas.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I never liked the solid steel leader, especially for shark fishing, because if it kinks, it really makes a weak spot. I always liked the braided best. I even went so far as to buy the sleeves and crimping tool so I could make my own, just like I wanted them. I understand that you can get them in titanium, now.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I agree with Jtrew, those steel leaders will kink up bad.....I've lost many big sharks because of that.

Usually when we fish for huge sharks we use a clutch cable for a leader, works awesome. :)

Take it easy, Zakk :thumbsup:

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You can buy airplane quality cable at just about any good home improvement store; if you want to use a leader over and over, you can even get it plastic coated. Remember, while you need a leader 1.5-2 times as long as the biggest shark you are likely to catch, because of the shark's rough skin, the steel leader doesn't have to be that long; you're just protecting against the teeth there. If you decide to get your own crimping tool/sleeves so you can make your own steel leaders, you can also use the sleeves on the heavy mono for the rest of the leader.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank's, good info! I will keep that in mind.

Zakk :)

9. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Make the sand spike yourself out of PVC pipe,use your imagination,look at your rods and go from there.You will make 1 just as good and at a fraction of the cost.I go to extremes hoping for the best.Bigger is better and heavier is better,I am into overkill,but it works for me.I have fun and relax at the same time.I like to fish Sandy Hook area.There is a head boat there,Prowler V.The best boat,6 pack limit so no drunks.Great Capt's and Mates :)

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You need to have one end of the pvc sand spike cut at an angle, making a sharp point that's much easier to push down into the sand. If you take one long piece of pvc and cut it in two at an angle over the center 12"-18" section, you'll end up with two rod holders that stick easily into the sand.

11. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

for surf /pier fishing for sharks i use owner jobu hooks with a 130 lb stanless steel wire leader about 6"long....for sharks i generally use 100 lb sufix tritanium shock leader as its very abrasion resistant....fishfinder rig is what i always use unless i float the bait out....floating it out works very well and you can get your rig out over 300 yards if the wind and water cooperate

12. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    dress for the worst,and you will be warm all day.I bought sub zero freezer warehouse clothes and good boots.I fish all winter and the cold does not bother me too much :)

13. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Easiest way to get your sand spike down is with a heavy rubber mallet.It won't hurt the spike,and it sure beats using your hands!

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Go to an electrical supply house and ask for 1-1/2" Schedule 80 pvc.
    The wall is thicker then the standard schedule 40.
    Take a file , rasp, or small angle grinder and round off the inside edge to help protect your rod handles from damage.
    Or with a little trial and error you can slowly heat the end of the pipe with a torch or other means of heat without scorching it and push a wine bottle in the end of the pipe while it is hot. This will give you the bell end effect of commercially sold pvc rod hoders.
    If you have never heated and bent pvc pipe this may take some trial and error to determine when your pipe is hot enough and pliable enough.

15. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Brobert let me ask these guys a question on you post. Is there a season for shark or can they be caught year round. Plan on getting a 14 foot saltwater kayak with rod holders on board for the purpose of getting the bait far enough out. If they are there year round it'll really help my choice to buy or not to buy.

Matt

16. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

generally fishing in water over 60 degrees is much more productive...over 70 is even better....coldest water temp ive caught a shark...not doggie... is 50

17. birdnest

birdnest New Member

The leader is protecting against alot more than just the teeth. The skin on a shark is like sandpaper and actually the same thing that develops into their teeth. The purpose for the long leader is that in a prolonged fight (which I assume is the real reason you are fishing for them) is that normal line, be it braided or not, will not hold up to prolonged abrasion. All of my sharks off of Matagorda on the Texas Gulf Coast have been less than 6 feet. A little farther south along Padre Island they have actually landed huge Tigers and others that have gone over 1000 pounds. Huge baits for the big boys are typically paddled out. For the average Joe, we would wade out to about the second bar and try to cast into the third or fourth gut. Just make sure when you cast that your bait is sitting in one of the guts. Predator fish use these as highways patrolling the beaches. There are also some subtle features along the beach that you can/should pay attention to. You can't really just walk up the the water anywhere and expect to find fish. Remember the 90/10 rule.
    Check the internet/library/local magazines for more info on what to look for. Never forget that these denizens of the deep can be as dangerous as you have heard. Your best bet is obviously to find out from the locals what works. If we are going to eat one, we will bleed it out which improves the taste of the meat. The meat I have had from black tips if very mild and very tasty.

God luck and tight lines,
    Birdnest

18. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    Glad to see this thread get started! I fish for big bull redfish and sharks primarily off Bryan and Surfside beach in Freeport, Texas. I make at least a trip a year to Padre Island National Seashore and camp a few days.

I used to swim lines out, then went to a kayak and now have an inflatable Zodiak with a 4hp outboard (turning 40 might have had something to do with that!). I like to make 10+ foot leaders and use large baits to run out in the Zodiak and shorter leaders to cast fresh cut mullet and whiting out from the second bar. I have a set of 11' rods and use Penn 268 wide spools and Newell 646.

Sharks will roll in the guts between sandbars and is a good reason to stay in front of them while fighting and use longer leaders. A shark can tail whip the line after rolling up in the leader and be gone.

I use welded rebar holders because we camp and fish all night. The shifting sand during tide changes can loosen pvc pipe and fall over but rebar is set. We weld a U shape at the bottom so it can only flex forward so far. Two rings and a butt plate or welded to hold the rod straight up and secure. Another great benefit to tall rebar holders is I set one at the 1st-3rd sandbar at low tide and always know where my guts are for casting and catching panfish for bait.

I will post pics when we start up again this year and hope to see everyone here do the same!

19. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    :confused:
    There is something about this that disturbs me! Maybe I seen Jaws too many times!

20. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    Creteus:

It is not necessary to have rod holders on the kayak and would be best not to have them especially if the surf gets rough. If ya never kayaked the surf before it is a real eye opener. Lean into the waves going out and lean back riding the waves in. I used to set the rods in holders on the beach and coil the leader with bait and bloody chum in a 3-5 gallon bucket strapped to the back of the kayak. Once ya get to smooth water, paddle around and deploy the bait and pour out chum. This keeps ya free of lines, hooks etc. while paddling back in case ya get rolled by a wave. Once ya get in, tighten the line up, set the drag and move on to the next one.

It can be dangerous out there in the surf so always make sure and wear a life jacket and spend some time paddling in rough water.