Shark Fighting

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Tinsldr2, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Tinsldr2

Tinsldr2 New Member

State:
    GA
    I am really in to Shark fighting. I call it Fighting because nothing quite like the feel of getting a 30-40 inch toothed monster along side the boat and grabbing it about a 1/3 up from the tail and yanking him out of the water to remove a hook while he goes crazy.

Off the coast of GA we catch them that way inshore on the river near the sounds, the beaches and peirs and at the near shore reefs. I also like Reds cause they taste better and put up a good fight but for pure excitement the small sharks cant be beat without a trip to the Gulf Stream.

I am currently in Iraq and only fishing here is some Carp and Asp. When I get back I have promised a forum member some Saltwater trips with me if he takes me out for catfish. So far all my Cats have been channel cats and all under 20 inches.

This is a great site!!

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Welcome to the family. Thanx for your service. When are ya do to get home?

3. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Welcome to the BOC. Thanks for serving.

4. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    Welcome to the BOC. I'm down to less than a month then I'll be hitting the river and the woods as well. Stay safe.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Welcome aboard, shark fishing, have you ever been bitting by one? When I lived in new jersey they were being caught in the bays but I never did get one. Be safe over there.:big_smile:

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sharks are fun!
    I've never geared up or specifically targeted shark but pick up plenty of shark drum fishing .

Down on the Cape Fear fishing for black drum they'll hit at night and you have just a couple of seconds to decide to stay and fight or cut the line.
    They'll spool you in a second on cat gear.:big_smile:
    Lost alot more then I've caught but I've managed to bring in some 4 footers up onto the surf after a few hours of fighting and winding up a mile or more down the beach from where I started.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Thank you for serving! Now get home, I hear theres some big cats waitin on ya.

8. Tinsldr2

Tinsldr2 New Member

State:
    GA
    I am do home in June. I get out here about once a monthy over to the palace and try my luck there on the Carp. Not the same level of excitement as catchin big cats or sharks but beats tying a fishing line to my toe and finger when I sleep just to feel a tug on the line. :big_smile:

Oh and I never been bitten yet but they darn sure try when you get them in the boat.

Attached Files:

9. FishinPhil

FishinPhil New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As others have said, thank you so much for your service! Come home safe.

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Rob,
    Welcome to the BOC family and thanks for what you are doing for our country.:big_smile: I like the picture of you fishing in the palace pond.:smile2:

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for serving. Stay in touch with the BOC when you get back. I bet there are a bunch of guys here willing to put you on some big catfish.

12. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Again, thanks for your service.God Bless you!

13. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Welcome aboard. Georgias coast is swarming with sharks during the summer. we usually go to tybee and fish the back river inlet at high tide. Good fun. Last trip all we cought were a boat load of 18 inch pups.

14. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Take care of yourself over there.Remember you got your brothers over there to keep you safe and your brothers here waiting to take ya fishing.

15. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    welcome and thanks for your sacrafic

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I love to shark fish and I am failry new at it. I have been out on charter boats a couple of times and fished from piers in SC. So far a four footer is my max.

When you get back contact me and I will gladly drag my boat down to GA to go shark fishing and I will gladly take you out in the Carolinas for some blues. Depending on when you return we might be able to get on some nice ones.

17. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Welcome to the forum from NE Florida. Take care and thanks....

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    welcome to the boc and thany you for your service to our country.may god bless and keep you safe till your return.

19. Tinsldr2

Tinsldr2 New Member

State:
    GA
    To Creteus,

I know what you mean about the 18 Inchers. I have fished the back river at Tybee and of course the Jetty by the lighthouse and the peir. One of my favorite shark holes on the river is just souh of Tybee on the Ogeechee . Right where the Ogeechee and Bear rivers meet there is a deep whole.

It seems on days when the 18-24 inchers start attacking known of the big ones bite. What I normally do then is switch to my lighter rods with twelve pound tackle and short wire leaders. The premade ones with a spot for two hooks and weight. The fun thing about the small ones is it sems the bite is more constant into the non-stop catching area. I have even had double hookups on the same rig.

I think the Bonnet heads hit the shrimp more and the Atlantic Sharpnose hit the squid more. I read about dying your squid with food coloring (red or blue) since i have been in Iraq but havent been able to try it. If anyone has tried that Or does I would be interested in the results.

Rob

20. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    never heard of dying them. Might be worth a try. I haven't ever used squid for shark. Use them for ladys and blues which I fish live for shark. Hook them up and cut off their tail. They will lay on the bottom trashin around pouring blood out everywhere.