Sharing Fishing Tips....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BKS72, Jul 17, 2008.

Have you reduced the amount of information you'll post on how to catch fish?

1. YES - Not going to post info that might be used to harvest big fish

2. NO - Still post the same as always - freely give out all the help I can

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    How many of you have slowed down or stopped posting specific information about baits, location types, and techniques because of large fish being kept? Just curious. I know in some areas the conversations have slowed down quite a bit and I'm just curious how much of that is driven by the concern of giving out info and then seeing a post showing some nice fish nailed to a tree with a subject line like "Thanks for the info, we caught a ton of fish".

I know after seeing an individual (a "lurker" type) at a local ramp keep 2 nice fish after reading about where they were being caught on here, I've rethought how much information I'll post up in the future. I know that's not a great way to be and I'm a bit conflicted about it, but if that's what it takes to keep trophies from being taken from waters I regularly fish, then I guess that's how it'll be. I know the CPR debate is pretty divisive and this thread will most likely have a short life, but I'm not starting it to debate CPR or keeping fish, but rather your reaction to it with regards to information you'll post on the board.

And before anyone thinks of it, I realize that what little knowledge I have about catching fish not being shared isn't a great loss to anyone:smile2:

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I give out all the info I know. Way I see it, that's the best way to keep them from finding the biggins. Only a fool would listen to what advice I have to offer, they get what they deserve.:wink:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'll share whatever whens,hows,whats and what nots I have. Its the wheres that ya won't get outa me. Ya gotta earn that on your own to a certain degree.

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,
    I have always been taught to help folks when comes to fishing. If I need to I have other tech, and ideas to try.

Good Luck

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I tourney bass fished for years and don't mind tellin competitors whats going on concerning the bite. I'm not marking somebodys map up showing where the brush piles are at that i worked to build are located, but if i catch them on gigs, i'll tell the truth.I know thats a different species all together, but what little i know, i'll continue to share.
    As far as CPR, thanks to this site, personally i'll release big fish but will continue to eat the smaller stuff if i'm out of fish. If i see someone skinning a 40 pound flathead, i guess thats their business as long as it was takin in a legal manner. Lately i've seen way more arguments on this site than i care too. If it's turning into an on-line place to fight i'll spend alot less time here and more on the water. I don't come here to fight and argue, and probably won't be a part of such very long.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i help in any way i can on Q's i have experience on.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I totally agree with this. There are some folks that go around purposely antagonizing the situation. I'm about sick of it, its down right childish. If ya wanna know what people, just observe the ones that have something to say every other post in a Cpr or alternative method section. I think its a poor way to behave on the BoC.

But to answer the exact question for this Thread.....

I tell everything about my method...rod and reel. I don't tell where I go at all, only what lake. I keep it fair, I don't ask nor will I tell. If a man wants to fish my lake I will give my honest advice in methods and depths , not spots.

Like George said...ya gotta earn it yourself !!!

-Jim-

8. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i will help anyone thats asks but as far as location to my holes i keep them to myself and dont tell where we catch them,

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Don't get me wrong - somebody shoots me a PM and wants to do some fishing, I'm going to take them where we can catch fish. I wouldn't post exact spots on line, but I was talking more generalities - "here's exactly the type of water depth you need, this bait, and I'd look for this type of structure". I see more and more posts wanting to know exactly where and how to catch big fish and that kind of takes the fun out of it. I try not to start CPR arguments and do my best to be civil when I'm I get sucked in (can't keep my mouth shut sometimes). I won't outright lie, but if I see a guy at the ramp with some big fish he's taking home, I'm not going to be real helpful the next time we talk about where they're biting at. Civil and friendly, but I'm not going to share much info on fishing. That was the point of the thread more or less - does who you are or might be giving info to efffect the information you give.

10. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I didn't grow up well off, so we fished for sport and food. Now always fish and reserviors for food, and that's what we kept. We never kept any over 10lbs.

We fished the river we never kept anything, we mostly took pictures and return.

I still agree with that.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've already voted/posted but i remember as a kid, you couldn't eat a blue from the Ark. river because they were mud fat. The fish i've caught from the mississippi were the same way. Why keep something thats not fit to eat anyway was the way i was taught.

12. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I am willing to tell my methods to almost everyone. I will even tell some people my exact spots that I catch fish. I do this in hopes that if times get slow for me they would help me out as well. I believe in CPR on big fish, but if someone takes the occasional big fish out of the water thats their decision. I would hope that if they do take a big fish out that they would have no need for anymore fish for quite some time. There are plenty of smaller fish in the waters that make good eaters in my opinion. I believe that if you are willing to take advice you should be willing to give it out as well.

Good luck to everyone!

13. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Amen. I came here to get information, and give information. I have an opinion on most things, some I share some I don't. I will not argue opinion. Good post, thanks.

As far as information on where to catch the big ones, if I had it, I would share it. They are not my fish until I put them in the net, I am not the fish police we police ourselves and encourage others to do the same through our discussions and answers. Just as the knowledge you have is not yours, except to share it.

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I don't have much info, I had about 35 years off from fishing, I joined this site to learn, and share experience. I get more info here than I put out but thats why I'm here. Sharing the ideas, techniques, baits, etc is ok, what the reader does with it is his business. If I shared something I most likely learned it here and if someone then catches more or bigger fish than me good for him.

15. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    This is a good post, and a good point...

I like to see folks be successful especially if they are going to be responsible and especially if they are going teach children.
    I always share what I know and if they are interested, my beliefs on C & R...

But I agree with the need to put in the time. And I think that everyone on here will agree that if you have not put in the time yet, you wont fully understand what you are doing until you gain that experience. So they catch a big fish.. That is called beginner's luck... It happens a lot, especially those folks that bring along their wives or girl friends for the first time, you will get out fished...:smile2:

* I don't think the people that lurk around, or 1 post then they are gone are getting enough info off the BOC to over fish an area.. I think those people have been catching fish like that for a while and have enough personal experience to keep on doing it...

** If you are really interested in catfish conservation, you just need to take kids and your kin fishing and teach them the way you feel is right.

~A

16. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    They shut down the river south of omaha for chemical spills and water treatment failure twice this year. So if someone wants to eat fish out of that, go ahead. But I don't think the boc was started just for bragging rights either. I post when and where I catch fish but it's not that often.

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I don't mind tellin folks how to catch fish But I'm not gonna lead you by the hand to My favorite spots. you'll have to find them the same way i did, get out there and look and look and look and look

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Andy, you make a very good point.

Brandon and others here have noticed that there have been times where our good nature has been taken advantage of. For instance, Commercial "nemrehsif" (opposite of fishermen) have been known to visit this site for the very purpose of finding where big fish numbers are being caught. They almost never post, just read and then go catch what they can. This is not the thread to discuss ethics. We all have our opinions. Many of us do not approve of such tactics. That's our opinion. There are those who do not feel this is stealing, there are those who feel that it is.

Perhaps I missread Brandon's intentions in making this thread, but I doubt it.

19. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I agree with what several other people have already posted. I don't mind tellin' the water temp., depth, bait, time, or what lake or river I was fishin' on, but I'm not goin' to be givin' out GPS coordinates. I spent many, many hours in the boat creepin' along and watchin' the depthfinder to find some of my best spots. Of those spots I found on the depthfinder, a couple have turned into good spots for big fish. There's pretty much no way I would tell anybody where those exact spots are unless you're a close friend and a CPR catfisherman also. I release the big fish I catch in hopes they'll get bigger and someone else or myself could catch 'em again. So while I'll share a lot of info, there is a limit to how much I'll post online. I don't mind pointing someone in the right direction, but I'm not going to be giving guided tours of where I caught big fish anytime soon. I've just put too much time and money into findin' good spots to give them to someone that may not release big fish.

20. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey Tom,
    How are you going to prevent those nemrehsif?? You can't. They are who they are.. Hopefully the law will catch them. If they are not breaking any laws, then we need to accept that they are there. The BOC is a resource for many, and for many reasons...
    Besides, I think most folks, including myself will not give up a specific spot as easily they would a technique or a hunch..

* Maybe this is the ignorance in me, but I will assume most folks good people that visit this site. I only hope they stick around and give a little bit of their knowledge up for the rest.