Share your "secrets"

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Gibbzilla, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I like to just sit back and relax with the fellas, with a minnow under a fixed bobber and wait for a big crappie. What bait/lure do you use and how do you fish them?

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use minnows under a slip bobber... never had any problems gettin' my limit...:smile2:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The true test of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be caught.

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    my secret I learned the hard way. we were bobber fishing for crappie & i didnt have a bobber but my friend did. i wasnt catching anything and his bite was slow. there was a lot of sticks floating around from the trees by us so I tied on a stick, tossed it out. next thing i see is its getting towed around like a barrel in jaws before it goes for the plunge. fish on. then I started out fishing my friend. the reservoir I was fishing gets hammered for crappies & thier educated. they shun regular bobbers. but they dont fear stix. A 4" x 1/2" floating stick earned me my limit in very short time.

4. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thats an interesting idea. The lake I fish also gets hit hard each spring for crappie and slab gill's. Now if I can remember this tip when the bite stops.

Thanks
    Wooly

5. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah you really cant go wrong with a slip bobber with a minnow on a mini mite jig. If the bite is really good sometimes i dont even need the minnow and can throw on a little mepps spinner.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    during the winter/ really early spring I target them by marking them on ledges and secondary drop offs, usually 15-25 feet of water. I then throw small jigs at them or if it's real cold an ice fishing jig tipped with a maggot.

Once they start to make their way shallower for the spawn I find them on shallower ledges and usually switch to minnows slowly drifted by them, this is usually in around 8 feet of water and structure can really attract them (hint: sink some cover and u'll be on them when nobody else can be b/c u'll have some secret spots)

When the spawn hits I 'beat the banks' fishing around cover in shallow water. I use a slip bobber and minnow or if they are on fire a small spinner or crankbait. get down in the nasty stuff! Another note: Note all crappie spawn at the same time. And when they do spawn they don't stay around the shallow cover for weeks, they spawn and move back out to the ledges and rest. If you were nailing them at a spot right before the spawn hit it up again! Alot of times the biggest ones will come from there! It's great when you see all these guys fighting for the visible cover on the bank and u just back away and start pulling in slab after slab apparently in the 'middle of nowhere'

After the spawn try those ledges again, I also do very very well drifitng or trolling jigs along flats in 4-15 feet of water.

During summer I go deep again, like the winter, but use minnows. Points can also be very productive. Try night time fishing as they are very sensitive to light and will move shallow at night to feed. Another good option is to fish around bridge pillings. They get algea in the summer, bringing in baitfish, sometimes the crappie are stacked long these. I stay away and cast spinners to the shady side to nab these. Another thing that can be dynamite is fishing around docks. They like the shade and once again-algea on docks brings in baitfish by the thousands. Practice 'shooting' jigs way up under to get to the fish that nobody else can find. My favorite summer place is a marina where the channel cuts real close to the bank. It goes from 4 feet to 23 feet. Everybody fishes way out around the end of the dock where they think it is deeper and I fish in next to bank and do real well. I fish close to surface but i think the crappie just find comfort in knowing the deep water is there in july.

Fall, back to where you caught them at the prespawn and even during the spawn. I fish with minnows mainly, but when they are on fire a jig is nice because there is less down time.

Winter-back to step one.

That is my year round attack on the slabs. We limit out almost every time we go out-no matter what time of year. If you notice I do not target the visible cover very often, I like watching my graph and marking them that way as most crappie will not be shallow at any one time. That got pretty long but hope it helps!!!

7. FishinRich

FishinRich New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I use a water fill bobber, just fill it up so it almost sinks. when they are biting light thats the way to go. And of course you can cast it along way!!!!:lol:

8. basstracker 1

basstracker 1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    roadrunner jigs,and popeye jigs with wax worms under bobber

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    1/16 oz. jigheads with any good matching Southern Pro Hot Grub curly-tail body...catches them all year 'round....no cork,

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Roadrunners tiped with small crappie minnows

11. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Here in Kansas, I use 1/4 oz jigs with a large 2 in tube of bigger because out shad are about 3 inches long this time of year. I target active fish on deep river channels, The big crappie wont hesitate to take big jigs when their foodsource is large. I do alot of finesse fishing around the marina docks with tiny jigs and spoons. I've found the fish around the docks arent as active as the fish on the main lake channels, so I downsize and coax them to hit. I did really well today I caught 16 keepers 11 to 13 inches in a little over an hour and a half. I'm hoping to do well again tommorow.

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thanks for the advise everybody! I'll have to try some of these as I love crappie fishing but havn't done it in awhile.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use a 1/32 oz. jighead with a small minnow when the fish are being shy. you can control where the minnow goes and guide it around cover. if you are over suspended fish, let it hit bottom, them reel up slowly. this can get them going when they are playing hard to get.
    otherwise, i will use a 2" bass assassin. if they reccommend a 1/16 oz. head for it, i will go 1/32. same action, but doesn't sink as fast.

14. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mostly minnows tipped with crappie nibbles under a bobber but if they are holding in tight to cover I rig a crappie slider weedless and get right in there with them. :big_smile:

15. Jason G

Jason G New Member

State:
    Kansas
    In the winter months I only drift fish with a curly tail grub with a decent size jig head. I went to a sport show a few years back where this was explained and it has worked great wouldnt change it for anything. Pre spawn and spawn I use a panfish assassin right up against the bank works like a charm..

16. Jason G

Jason G New Member

State:
    Kansas
    At night I jsut straight line it under the boat with a minner.

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I like to troll for crappie as well. This way it covers a lot of water and it makes it easier to locate the school. I usually troll mini jigs, or small minnow type jigs with a split shot about 8 inches above. I had great success doing this for years. But when there s a moderate wind, I usually drift for the crappie.

18. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Prespawn, when the water starts to warm up target the shallows that are near to secondary ledges and points close to the creek, boy a minor cold front and they retreat back to the deep. As far as bait on a warming trend you just can't beat a grub(kalin) on 1/16 plain jighead, covers lots of water. If you hit it on a cold front, slow down use plain 6 or 8 hook and a minnow, target some sort of structure, wood and rocks.

Spawn, nobody should need help during this time.

Postspawn, summer, time to be catfishing, okay maybe couple times during the summer might night fish with crappie lights, but I will have a cat pole out also.

Fall, back to the shallows with the curly grub, maybe some trolling to checkout the lakes beautiful colors with the leaves turning.

Winter, just don't do it much after the ice is on. Will do some icefishing for gills on the smaller ponds so I don't have to walk far.

19. srjones

srjones New Member

State:
    midwest city, ok
    year round, I'll go out to dirty-bird about an hour before dark, I'll take my boys out to one of the coves and set up on shore. We'll kick back until it just about gets dark then we'll put a lighted bobber on the line with a live minnow about 2' below and toss them out about 10' - 15' from shore. Then the chaos begins. we can't keep more than two poles in the water at any given time. I haven't been out there in a couple of months but the last time was in November and we limited out within 2 hours.

20. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Been catching some very nice crappie with this bait I picked up at Wally World.

[​IMG]