Share your fishing techniques and tips here!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCat4, Aug 26, 2006.

1. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    We have alot of new members coming in asking questions about fishing poles to use, how to hook bait , how much weight to use and what dept of water to fish at , what bait to use and where and when to use it , what kinda srting and reels to use ect.

So i decided to help those who ask thesew questions by asking you guys to reply and answer of these question and myabe some of mune if i have any!!!

Thanks guys!!!
    Travis O.
    :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

2. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    Cmon guys!!!!! please?

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its the weekend, give everyone a chance to get back home from fishing.

My on methods may or may not help a novice. I've also only been fishing for catfish about a year and only know what has been working for me. I'm a restless sort, so tend to drift fish. I fish mainly a lake and in the upper end of the lake...its only 3 miles from my home, or 6 to where prefer to launch. Also, my boat is a kayak that I've rigged specifically for catfisihing. I've 5 rod holders, one just holds a spare rigged rod. Usually, I'll have three lines in the water...always seem to have one out baiting or getting it unhung from a snag. Two of the lines will be dragging bottom, the other two if both are out, fishing baits suspended under either a 6" or 8" stick float that, at rest, is horizontal. The decision as to the 6" or 8" float has more to do with the rods they are attached to than preferring one over another. One rod is a medium action that'll take the 8" float, the other is medium light wth 10 lb line, so it gets the smaller float.

My reels are one Ambassaduer 5600 C4, one Abu 6600 D5, an old Daiwa spinning reel that holds about 200 ft of 15lb Big Game and a Shimano Sedona 2500FB with 10 lb test. Rods include medium heavy 7 ft rods for the two Abu's, one a Bass Pro Extreme, the other an All Star, a 6.5 ft Ugly Stick spinning rod with medium action for the Daiwa reel, and a 6.5 ft Shimano Scimitar for the Shimano reel, medium light action.

Hooks are usually Gamatsu Octopus 7/0 hooks for the float lines, Eagle Claw Kahles 6/0 for my bottom rigs. All my lines have a 30 lb test leader attached to a swivel, even the float lines. After carefully watching catfish caught in shallow water one day...caught 10 in an hour, and seeing how the twinst rouind and round when you pull them in, I understood why swivels are a good idea, minimizes line twist and other problems.

With the exception of the Shimano Reel, all are loaded with Berkely Big Game 15 lb test, The test of the line is a compromise between castability, distance I can cast, reek capacity, and line strength. For me, its the best lb test. The Shimano only has 10 lb test because the rod just doesnt seem to work right with higher test, plus I loose reel capacity. For catfishing, I like the Big Game and use the high visibility Solar Green. It helps maintain line control as I can see it and, if I night fished more, is visible undre black light and not bad with red lights. But, if bass fishing, for instance, I wouldn't use Big Game. And, in fact, the Shimano spinning rig has another brand of line on it as I believe that Big Game in 10 lb test has too much memory and stiffness.

I rig my bottom rigs Carolina style...egg sinker, bead, swivel, 14-18 " leader, Kahle hook. My sinders are 3/4 or one ounce size. The leader, as I said, is 30lb test. While the regular line is certaninly stong enough to hold a good size catfishi, the leader cuts down on abrasion and is quick to replace. If ind I wind up cutting of a lot less of my man line and, thus, save money. My float rigs are rigged stop knot at the desired depth, usually 4-6 ft, bead to stop the float from going over the stop knot, float, and with the big floats I use, another bead, then swivel, leader, a medium lead removable pinch sinker, sometimes two, and my Octopus 7/0 hook.

If enough wind, I set out a drift sock, plan a drift according to the direction of the wind, paddle to the start point, and begin the drift. Usually, I'll drift one to two miles in a day of fishing.

That's the way fish today, tommoorrow I'll change something.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Forgot to mention bait. I've come to believe its best to give catfish what they eat most of the time. I use a castnet to get bluegill and shad. My preference is for the bluegill, usually 2" to 6" long, I use the shad too, but have better luck with the 'gills, plus they hold together longer when bumping bottom. The heads are very productive. I do ok with shad, its a better bait with the float rigs. Sometimes, I use raw unpeeled shrimp from Wal-Mart. I've never caught a catfish on worms or stinkbaits. The exception to the worm is meal wormas. When fishing for big 'gills on a small lake not far from home, the damn catfish wouldn't leave my meal worms alone. I fixed their butts in cormeal and oil.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    This thread was a good thought on your part BigCat4, hope someone or even more kick in a few posts. I know there's a lot of information in the library, but it sometimes takes newbies time to find it. Just keep bumping it up, maybe someone will post.

6. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    Thats a lot of very good information. If I can think of anything to add I will try to post it. But for now I draw a blank.

7. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    thanks i like to read information about fishing

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Best tip I can give you is to put bait in the water, on a hook, and just set there. Sooner or later a fish will come along. May not be a cat, but it will be a fish, or turtle, or eel, or something.

On the serious side I'd say to study the body of water your fishing. Know the holes, logs, trees, rocks, channels and other structure. You do that you can pretty much catch fish all the time.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think u should just get out, and fish sometimes.

10. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    there was a threat the other day about the best way to hook a bait fish,, if its still on here you should check it out,,, very informative.... the best way to find out fishin advice is to actually go out and fish.. also listen to these men and women on the BOC they know what there talkin about

11. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Best tip i can think of is to just keep experimenting, cats in diffrent areas are going to want diffrent things presented in diffrent ways, so keep changing how you present your baits and what your using until you find what they like, ive never caught anything on commercial baits so id use bait fish native to the area, Check your local regulations so you know if you can get them in a cast net or if they have to be caught on hook and line, i hope this helps anyone who needs advice

12. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    just get out there and fish.use different baits,and move if no bites in 30 minutes,it seems to work for me.

13. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    BOC;

I am very new here and even though I've caught cats in TX where i was born and raised I now live in NE KS and have access to alot of different fishing possibilites. It seems that there is no better way to catch cats but to go fishin and pay attention. Thanks to all that have posted ideas and believe me I am taking notes. I am bank fishing along the muddy Mo and the current of the river is my biggest problem right now. Any ideas???

Thanks

Kirk

14. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    i didnt post this for me i posted this for everyone that had questions