Share the Harvest

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by opposum, Sep 25, 2008.

1. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    How many of you have a Share Harvest Program/Hunters feeding the Hungry etc... in your state? If you have one have you ever donated? Missouri has this program and I donate a couple of deer every year. Makes me feel good to know that I'm helping someone out.

2. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    We have hunter's feeding the hungry out here. I have donated at least a deer a year and several hogs to them when I was still hunting Llano. I had'nt donated anything to them this last season since I missed out on a lease. Once we get everything going at the new ranch though it should go back to donating again.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats a great program. however i am a meat hunter. and the stuff folks donate is what im after. i would be glad to donate the horns. i have yet to find a recipe that calls for em. unless your in china.:smile2:

i know they have them here in illinois. but its a staple for my family and sometimes i dont think we could do without it really.

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    They have a progran here in KY and I think this year it also pays for the processing but not sure bout the processing part .As far as donating I share the wealth with family and less fortunate friends . It is a great program tho. ! I do believe however if you are killing for someone else to eat GREAT ! If your killing to be killing you all that know me ...know how I'd feel about that !

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i hunt to feed my family, bottom line. i don't have a lot of money and i kill deer every year. we have a hunters for the hungry program here, but they want you to pay to have it processed when you 'donate' to cover the butcher so he doesn't do it for free. what i never figured out was that i pay my license, ammo, gas, and food to get this deer, and then i'm supposed to pay so some guy doesn't work for free? never really made sense to me... real hunting is work.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I usually keep one or two for my family, and give the rest, 6-12, to friends and family. I never give any to someone who is capable of getting their own. Lot's of older folks around that appreciate venison. Several family & friends not in physical shape to hunt anymore.
    I wouldn't mind participating in the "Share the Harvest" program, if, as said above, I didn't have to pay to have it processed. I'm already paying through the nose to get the deer and transport it halfway across the state, be darned if I'm going to pay to donate. Every year we hear of butchers that will do it for free, but the details are always vague and is of the nature of "Well, a friend of mine has a neighbor, whose brother heard that such & such butcher shop doesn't charge for that". I have tried to follow up on many leads, but all were dead ends. I gave up and just give them away myself.

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Like many of you i hunt or food that i need. I do kill deer for friends and family that need it to useally i just ask for them to replace my tag or help with the processing at my home. And jeremy you hit it on the head those horns just dont taste good do they.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have a lot of friends in N Mo. that would give lots of deer to Share the Haarvest if they would cover the processing. Thats a hot subject up that way.

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    My understanding was if you donated the entire deer the processing fees were covered by the state. But after looking it appears some fees may not allways be covered?

Price reduction program for whole-deer donations
    The Conservation Federation and its partners will reimburse processors, at an amount set each year, to process a whole deer donated to Share the Harvest. Hunters who donate an entire deer will complete a voucher provided by their processor. The hunter’s bill is automatically reduced by the set amount. At the end of the season, processors will send the vouchers to the Conservation Federation for reimbursement.

Additional funds, which may be available from local sources, can further reduce processing cost. In some instances the entire processing cost may be covered! This is especially true in those areas of high deer density where a reduction in the deer population is warranted. Contact your local processor for more information.

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunt/deer/share/

I think it's a great program but prefer to do all the processing myself.
    We just give some to family and friends or others in need.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Over the last few years, it amounted to $25/30 rebate check from MDC, around March/April. You still had to pay the entire processing fee up front.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i believe in il you have to cover processing, from what ive heard, not positive. and i cant afford to have my deer done at a processor. so i wont spring for it to see it go. but sure if a hunter has the cash and just wanted a rack then great. better than seeing a headless carcus in a ditch. im sure you all hunters have seen that. makes me so mad.

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Have seen it . What is your deer limit or is it diffrent zones?

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    In the part of MO that I hunt it's one buck with at least 4 points on one side, and as many does as you can afford the $7 tags for.:wink: Record was 2 years ago from a Columbia, MO man who got 115 if I recall right. He did state that he found good homes for each one.:wink:

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Awesome on his donations . Here it is 1 buck unless drawn for a quota hunt . Can put in for the Elk hunt LOOONNGG shot to get drawn. and unlimited does in zone 1 .

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm like Tom and some others here. I keep what i'll use and give the rest to those who can't do for themselves. I always offer meat to the land owners and try to get them to hunt also.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    We have "hunters for the hungry" here. I donate 2-4 deer a year and also make a monetary donation to help cover the processing costs. The guy I got my license from today asked if I wanted to donate $2 of the license fee to the organization. Of course, I said sure. He told me he had just had a customer a few minutes earlier that "went off" when he was asked to donate. The customer started screaming at him. What a jerk!

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I lived in a state where multiple deer harvest was possible,I might after making do for me and mine,But here one buck per year for nearly all deer species and pronghorns ,and I don't hunt anything but deer. ,NO elk pronghorns or any other biggame,I used to but the game Dept just made me not want to after some new regs.

18. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like everyone has the same frame of mind. Donate if they can either to family, friends, or neighbors.:cool2: I live in Benton County Missouri. I've heard talk on the local radio station that the program in Benton County has enough to pay for the processing of 45 deer free of charge to the hunter and possibly more. Troy is right. Specially if you live in Missouri. Contact the processor or your local game warden...I'm sure they can give you the details.

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah, it's sad that a lot of people will throw a fit for no reason, when a simple 'no thanks' would suffice.

20. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I like the share the harvest program. But as stated here many times, I need the stakes and burger for my family. The one problem I have with the program is it kinda takes the meaning of hunting, providing for your family, and makes it a moot point. If you are not going to eat what you kill then don't kill it. I just mean the people that kill multiple deer with no notion of eating any of it.