share a message to Vets

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fwmud, Nov 13, 2005.

1. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    I meant to post this earlier,but didn't.
    I'm hoping this will be only a collection of thoughts and such. Not a post to argue and bicker on.
    As many of you know, I went back to working for a living again.(insert laugh)
    I live about 40 miles from where i'm working. Friday morning as I was driving to Raleigh,I was watching the sunrise. I began to watch it and it was a glorious one at that. I always leave early,so I had plenty of time so I pulled off the side of the 2 lane road to watch it all.
    As this was Veterans day, thoughts began to creap into my head. I began to ponder the ones who had gone before me and those who will have to go after me.My family,like so many other families,is full of vets. Tracing my personal history back,we've had members in every war since the 1600's. Being a veteran myself,I would have loved to had the day off as so many others did. But, as I've told Jim, "Only those with a real job,get those holidays off"
    We have so many Vets here on this site,some still serving today in Iraq and Afganistan. We all get caught up in the hoopla of our own lives, feelings on politics,religion, and any and everything else under the sun.
    Sometimes we don't just stop and smell the roses.
    This is just a simple little way (long as it might be) to say thanks to all the vets here and abroad, for doing your duty,in peacetime and during war.
    We all here support you.
    Some in a broad sense of the word,others more subtle. I believe we all have the same desires and goals at heart,disagree as we may.
    I lost a few close friends while in and I'm sure there are many more stories and names that should be said.
    Even though it's over, the day will always belong to veterans in my mind.
    God bless our troops and help them gain victory and come home soon.
    I'd love for each to post just a little simple thought on the subject of Vets here.
    Thanks, Keith

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    As far as my feelings go every time we are able to do what we want or make our own decisions or own what we want or can afford we need to say thank you to every vet and service personel that we can but remember it could be the homeless or the handicap the rich the poor or just any body old enough to have served we should also thank the ones left behind by those HEROS so from my heart THANK YOU ALL but that is not enough :0a31:

3. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Friday night, my seven year old twins participated in the local veterans day parade, marching with their Cub Scout pack. I was very happy to see the street totally lined with people there to watch the parade, and found joy in the fascination of my boys with the men and women in uniform, marching bands and fire trucks shined up and ready for the parade. They waved their flags high, sang Yankee Doodle, and stared open mouthed at the soldiers who saluted them as they marched by.

The thing that struck me the most, and reconfirmed my belief in our troops, is how touched I was by the whole scene. I was honored to participate, and humbled in the face of such bravery. Struck especially, when coming face to face with the small group of Vietnam vets. Only 6 or 8 of them, but immediately one made eye contact with me, and as thoughts of my own father flooded my brain, I wondered what thoughts he had as he looked at me. Half Asian, and a product of the war he had lost and lived so much for. Did he know what I was? I wondered, knowing all along that he had to have. I have no explanation for how I felt, a mingle of pride that my sons would march along side of him, the knowledge that my father had served beside him, and the passing thought that I stood on that pavement, and had the opportunity to do so, because of what that one single man gave.

God bless our troops...they should all know they have my support.

4. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Kudos to you Jen that was a super post.

It is nice to see people are proud of our men and women in uniform as apposed to what occurred in the late 60's and early 70's when returning home. People became confused and took out their frustration and anger on anyone wearing a uniform when their distain should have been directed towards the politicians. The politicians of both sides of the isle were to blame for our involvement not our troops. Soldiers go where they are told to go and do what they have been told.

God bless all who have or are wearing the uniform of our armed services. May all still get a fluttery stomach, a warm feeling in their heart and a tear in their eye when they see a veteran either in a parade or in an airport.

5. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    jen, thanks for that great post!
    It was just what I was hoping for. No politics,no argueing,just a statement and a little something we all did to honour our soliders.
    Thanks again girl, 5 STARS!

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Every Veterans Day I think back to when I was in Boy Scouts. I was in a large Troop with almost 200 boys in it. We had a LOT of adults that were Assistant Scoutmasters. In 1989, we loaded 3 charter busses full of boys, a Suburban and a Van full of Men, and headed to the National Jamboree in Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia. While on the trip, we went to Washinton D.C. We visited the White House, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, the Washington Monument, and several other sites of interest. There were 3 that made their mark on me that I will NEVER forget.

The First.
    The first night we were in Washington we went to see the Iwo Jima Memorial. When we got there, it was still light outside. All of the boys gathered, seated on the ground in front of the statue, and 3 of our adult leaders got up in front of us, and explained what the statue was, and what it meant to them. Each of them had served time in the Marines. One of the adults, tears flowing freely pointed to one of the men on the statue and said, "That was my dad's best friend". Now for you to fully understand how MOVING this was, this man was the "toughest" man in our Troop. He was rock solid, and to see him crying freely, was a shock. After the men spoke, we all got up, and wandered around the site looking around. We then got together for a picture. We took a picture of all 150 boys, the statue behind them, behind the statue the city of Washington D.C., with the blue, red, purple sky of a beautiful sunset as the back drop.

The Second.
    One of the Adults on the trip was my dad. I had known for a long time that he had served in Viet Nam, but he hadn't said very much about it other than he was there. When we went to the Viet Nam Wall, we once again, sat down, and had some of the adults talk to us, and explain what we were about to see. One of those men was my dad, another was a close friend of our family. We then walked to the wall site, and I stayed near my dad, in awe of what he had told us, as he had never spoken of the war before. We were walking down the wall, and he got to a certain section and stopped. He came to attention, and it took him a full 2 mins to turn and look at the wall. His hand reached out and touched a name on the wall. At that point, I saw my father cry for the first time in my life. He broke down, and sobbed for 5 mins.
    I found out later, that it was the name of his best friend from growing up. They had joined together, and were together in Viet Nam, and he had traded truck routes with my dad, the day that he died.

The Third.
    Arlington National Cemetary.
    We walked in and saw row after row of white headstones and American flags. Our scoutmaster sat us all down, and talked about the History of Arlington, and of some of the people burried there. He talked about his Dad, who had died durring the Korean war. We were then blessed to have a young man come up and talk to us about the Tomb of the unknown soldier. He explained that he was off duty, but that he was one of men who guards it. He told us about the history of guarding it, and what an honor it was to him to do so. Then he led us to the tomb to watch the changing of the guard. It was very solemn, and very spiritual. You could FEEL the history all around you. It was almost as if all the veterans of the past were there, guarding it too. I stood there, and watched every last one of the men that were with us, tear up. When it was over, we stood together, hands joined as a troop, and said the Lord's Prayer.

I thank GOD every day for our Veteran's.