Share a Hunting Memory

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by etexun, Oct 12, 2009.

1. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    How about sharing a Hunting Memory? It might be something from your younger years or just a few years ago or just yesterday. How about sharing something that made a real impression on you.
    I will start this off with something of mine.
    This happened when I was a teen. I think I was about 14. I went hunting with my Grandfather. Now I had been hunting with him before but this was the first deer hunt. It was down in Newton County Texas. It was a cold morning and my Grandfather let me off at a brush pile at the edge of a lease road. He said he would be down a ways and for me to be patient. They were going to turn some dogs lose and he said they would run right by me, so I should get a good shot. Before I had time to ask him when would he be back, he was gone. Off he went rattlin down the road in his jeep. I crawled over into the brushpile and found a spot that was not too uncomfortable. There I sat and waited for daylight. Trying to pass the time, shivering from cold, and looking around trying to imagine a deer coming by me. I must have checked my rifle a dozen time before I heard the first dogs bark. Way off I could hear them. They sounded like they were hot on a deer. Louder and louder they got. Just when I figured they would be within sight of me they turned. Not much but just enough that they would miss my brushpile stand a 100yrds or so. I never got a look at them. They had passed me a little too far to even see them. I kept still thinking that my Grandfather might get a shot and I would hear his rifle any minute. Fainter and fainter the sound of the chase got. Until I could not hear it anymore. So there I sat. My whole day was spent and I did not even see them.
    Finally around 11 oclock my Grandfather came and picked me up and we headed for our camp. On the way he asked if I had seen the deer. He said he could hear them and thought at first they were going to run it right over me. Then he said it turned and headed his way. He was standing next to a big pine on the side of the lease road and the dogs were pushing the deer right at him. He said that just as the deer was about to break out of cover down from him an old truck came up the road. He said he knew the man driving it. He said the man saw him and stopped right next to him and got out and yelled out to him and slammed his truck door. He yeld "hey Chester, see anything"? He said he could see the deer as it turned and ran the other direction from all the noise. Now you had to know my Grandfather. He was someone that had no trouble speaking his mind and he started in on the man about spooking the deer away. The man was drunk he said. Almost to drunk to stand. He said he was moaning real bad about a bad tooth he had. My Grandfather said let's have a look. He said he took the man back to his jeep and he pulled the tooth with some pliers he had in the floorboard. I looked down and could see the pliers they were fence pliers the kind you see ranchers fixing bob wire fences with.
    Later that evening the man came by our camp and my Grandfather asked him if he still had that tooth. He said yes and went and got it to show me. He came back with a great big jaw tooth. The ones that have 4 roots on it. I looked at it and you could see hunks of meat and tissue and blood hanging off it.
    Anyway. That is a morning I will never forget. And I never mentioned to my Grandfather if I had a bad toothache. True story.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'll share one that's close to me. my father in law marvin is one of my best friends, he's actually been more of a father to me than my biological father was. he has missed the last few seasons of deer and quail because he can't walk long distances anymore. on our last hunt together 5 seasons ago, we walked in to a pinch point on the red river, about 2 miles back from the road. we get about 100 yards from the pinch point when two guys unload on a nice 8 pt whitetail and drop it on the side of the riverbed. we were happy for them, but kind of wondered if our hunt would be worth it anymore. my father in law said "let's walk another few hundred yards and see what we see." we went along in waist high grass on the riverbed and stayed as quiet as we could, when he spotted a herd of mule deer crossing our way. i looked them over with the binoculars and saw no bucks. as they continued our way at 250 yards, i saw the sun shine off antler. there was a decent sized buck among all the does! we got ready, and i made a bad shot, as it was windy and it was freehand. marvin cleaned up my mistake and the buck dropped in the riverbed. we started up to him and i told him to tag it, and he insisted that i tag it. you could tell he was really excited, and had the adrenaline going. i high fived him and he patted me on the back. in 10 years that's the only time that ever happened. i tagged and field dressed the buck and we drug it out over 2 1/2 miles of riverbed to the truck. the buck wasn't overly big, dressed out at 220 pounds, which is average for a mulie. i have killed loads of deer and so has marvin, but that one buck will always stick out in my memory. thanks for reading.

3. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Now that's what I'm talking about. That was a great story Jordan. Thanks for sharing it with us.

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    My Dad has been hunting all his life, most of it in SouthCentral Pennsylvania where he grew up. He had an obsession with turkeys and hunted them anytime he could. He had several close encounters but was never able to connect. Adding more pressure to him was the fact that my brother and I both collected turkeys at a young age...I was 13 when I got my first gobbler.

One fall Dad and I were hunting the usual spots when we walked right into the middle of a large flock...as they started to run I ran toward them and pushed them into the air. One mature hen made the mistake of circling back overhead and Dad made a beautiful head shot on her. Almost before she hit the ground my Dad was on her and had her by the neck. He let out a holler that I had never heard before, sat down, and started crying, still holding the turkey. I left him alone for a good 20 minutes, sitting quietly about 30 yards away. He then got up, filled out his tag, unloaded his gun and walked out of the woods...I followed. Not a word was said on the drive home.

Dad has since collected several nice turkeys, both gobblers and hens, but I can guarantee that his first will always stand out for him...and for me.

5. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I guess the one I remember the most is my son's first deer. He was fourteen at the time. We were hunting at Fort Campbell KY as i was stationed there. We picked up our passes the day prior and spent the night going over the map and making sure that all the gear was staight. I was up at 4:00 am and tried to get him up at 4:30. If any of you have children getting them up too early is like pulling hen's teeth. So we decided to go out about 10:00. The plan was for me to teach him how to rattle. I should him at the truck prior to heading to the woods. We set up at out first place and he was ready. On the first clash of the antlers he stabbed his self in the back of the hand. Almost bringing tears to his eys. Well we tried a couple more places but to no avail. About 2:00 we decided to return to the truck and pick up the treestands. I have taught him to use the stands but with a couple of of added things. He has to call on the walkie talkie to let me know he is in the stand with his safety harness after he has settled in. I went about 150 yds from him and went up in my stand. Everything was going great. Then all of a sudden Boom!!!. Another rule we have for him is that if he shoots or if someone shoots close to him he has to call me. I reached over to turn up the walkie talkie but there was no need. I heard him Hollar "Dad I got him" I told him to unlad his gun and I would be there shortly. About have way out of my tree I thought we were directing the space shuttle. "Dad we have a problem he is trying to get up and get away" My response was to shoot him again". Okay dad he is down. About half way to his stand he calls me again. Dad We got another problem. He has fallen in the creek. I told him to hold on I was almost there. After fishing him out of the creek I pulled my knife out to field dress his deer and I was informed that this was his deer and he would do the honors. I walked him through the process and have to admit he did a fine job. I then went to help him pull it out of the woods and I was then informed that this was his deer and he would pull it . So a hour or so later we made it the 150 feet to the fire break where I had the truck waiting. I will give you it was only a 6 pointer but to me it is still a Boone and Crocket and displays proudly in the house. Me and my son don't get to hunt in fish much anymore do to him living in a different state. But this was the best hunt I have ever had.

6. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Thanks, Chuck and Bill. Those are great stories. I know they will spur others to join in with their past hunt memories.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I want to tell you about two guys that were probably the most responsible for me becoming a hunter back in 1975. One was my long lost cousin Kevin, who I hadn't seen since my Mom's funeral in 1963. When I found him in Jonesboro Georgia, he had a next door neighbor named Bobby Hill. My cousin was a city boy from Long Island, but he was raised by my grandfather, who was from the back woods of Canada. Bobby got Kevin into deer hunting and he, like Bobby became a fanatic about it.
    Both of them have passed on, now.
    Well, back then, I was living in Walker Co. Georgia, but I would go to Clayton County to go camping with them while they hunted. They had a lease down near Macon, Ga. Bobby, his brother Tommy, and Kevin would ride down in their pickups. Bobby had an old International that was camo painted that he would tow behind his truck. That's what they ran around in down at the lease. I would sit at camp and play my guitar while they hunted, but they would take me scouting while they looked for sign.
    Bobby Hill was a big practical joker, and was always pulling something on someone. He kept me laughing constantly. He was also a great hunter who always seemed to get the biggest deer and the most deer every year.
    Bobby had been loaning Kevin a nice .308 for the last couple years and Kevin just kept it in his gun cabinet. One night there was a serious knock on the door while Kevin and I were watching TV. Bobby was at the door looking mad as a wet hen. He looked at Kevin and said, "I want my damn rifle back! You've had it almost three years!" My cousin was startled but said, Sure, No Problem, Bobby." He handed Bobby the gun and suddenly Bobby's face started almost glowing. He reached into the bush next to the door and produced another .308 just like the one he had in the other hand. He handed it to Kevin and said, "There, now you have one, too. You don't need mine anymore!" That's the kind of guy he was.
    Anyway, back down at the lease, Bobby , Tommy, and Kevin had a real good weekend hunting. Bobby got two nice bucks, Kevin got a small buck, and Tommy got a nice buck. Bobby also got a Turkey, although Turkey season wasn't in!! They loaded the deer into the International along with the camping gear. Bobby stuffed the Turkey inside one of the deer carcasses back in the International he was towing. I was riding with Bobby and we were following Kevin and Tommy out the dirt road, headed back to Atlanta. As we rounded a curve, we saw the game wardens checking vehicles. I didn't think anything about it. A warden asked Bobby if he had had any luck, and Bobby told him he had a few deer in the towed vehicle. The warden went back to check them out. He came back to Bobby's window and said, "Mr. Hill, there appears to be Turkey feathers sticking out of one of those deer carcasses back there!" Bobby never blinked. He looked the warden in the eye and said, "Well I'll be damned! I didn't know deer ate Turkeys!" I laughed until I cried!!!:wink::smile2:

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have one. It was opening day, everyone in camp got up at 4:45 am to have opening day morning feast. Ohh man was it foggy.By dawn half of the guys thought the smart thing to do was stay in camp and wait for the fog to life.Not me I walked into the woods checking my compass every 2 min or so.I never found my blind but did find a big oak to sit up aginst.And there I sat not able to see anything.I had just bought a brand new hunting suit (One peace with a button hood.) Ohh it was a nice one.About 10 am the fog still hadnt lifted and mother nature was calling.I didnt want to wander back to camp to relive myself,so I thought I would go a few yards down wind to relive myself.Now I dont know if any of you ever had a ! pice suit but its a reak crore to take a dump.! I had to take my belt off,now that was easy then I had to untie my hood, un zip my suit, take the coat part off so I could drop my longjohns and get busy. I did my task, cleanded up. I pulled up my suit.Zipped it up, put my belt back on and was all ready to flip my hood up.Somthing wasnt right.You guessed it I had taken my dump in the hood of my suit!! I took everything off again, unbuttoned the hood and just left it! But for the rest of the week there was a funny oder around the coller of my suit.But The worst part was two days later one of the guys found my hood!As soon as he got back this creap was offering tours to look at my hood.Thats my story,and it gets told when ever any of these guys are around.
    smokey

9. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    oops

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Joe that's the best story yet lol

11. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I started hunting at 12 that was 1993. I didnt kill my first deer until 2003. When it did come it was a pretty good story.
    It was November 16, 2003, and I had set up a treestand two weeks before on my buddies parents property (only a 6 acre woodlot). It was kinda rainy and cold, as we left the barn Jamie said he needed to light the trashpile, or his Mom would skin him.(it was his job to burn the trash). He lit it and we walked into the woods.
    I had just gotten to the base of my ladder and heard the biggest explosion I had ever heard! I shook it off and climbed my tree. Five minutes later another BOOM!Boom Boom boom.
    You could hear the "missiles" crashing through the trees all around us in the dark.
    Just after shooting light came a small doe came within bow range, I let her have it double lung and she only went 40 yards and crashed.
    Come to find out Jamie had grabbed the "food drive" canned food bag and the trash. There were beans and corn spread from one end of the woodlot to the other.
    I have killed 12 deer since that morning, but none quite as rewarding or funny!

Attached Files:

12. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    A few years back I wanted to take my son and freinds on a deer hunt. :big_smile:we decided on Reeses deer farm ( which was not really a deer farm)in mississippi . we were rifle hunters so we could not hunt on the archrey only farm.:embarassed: but we could hunt some lease land.i got a small buck first day then my son got a good buck that evening.:big_smile:after a uneventful 2nd day:embarassed: it was decided to use dogs.:big_smile: our instructions were if you miss the deer catch the dog .:confused2: having never used dogs in arizona except to hunt lion and bears .we thought catch the dog ? how ?:confused2: the dog handlers gave us each a peice of used baling twine now im as country as the next fella . but? :eek:oooh:so the drive is on, hear the dogs bay, imagine the dogs hell bent for leather after those deer.:crazy: a doe passes between my friend Clay and i he misses !:crazy: here come the dogs ! walking no hurry we caught them .they just move the deer ...We laugh every time we think of it ..:big_smile::big_smile: