Shane Williams (Turtle1173) Dad Catches Monster Blue

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Cuz, May 6, 2007.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Just thought I'd start a new thread and give Shanes Dad, and one real nice fish the respect they deserve. Great Fish, and Great Story. Glad you were able to be there with your Dad and watch him catch it.

Here is Shanes Story....

"I've been skunked so many times during this high water it's been depressing. We've recently started doing better though. Now I'm afraid I won't know how to fish low water conditions whenever they DO come.

My parents came down to visit this week and I took my Dad fishing on Friday. I made the mistake of telling him he could do all the "catching."

Fishing is usually FUN whether I catch anything or not, however, we got way past the fun level and went right to the STRESS level. After 45 minutes, my Dad was at the "Spaghetti arm" stage and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack, LOL.

I told my Dad halfway through the battle that if this fish was bigger than my biggest I was going to cut his line. I was kidding of course and was thrilled that we had the experience together, since we don't get to fish much together anymore. He weighed in at 71 lbs (compared to my biggest of 56 )."

Looks like the Ol Man has got ya beat bad there Mr Shane. You better be hittin the river pretty hard. :lol: Thanks for sharing your story. Hope I'm not embarrassing you by making your dad's catch front page news. LOLOLOL

Click below for Shanes Dad and his Fish.

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks cuz, thats one nice fish!!!

3. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Shane.. Dont let them get to ya. Ive spent many times on the water and work hard just to watch my partner hook them. It is all a Team effort to have the boat working smoothly. It is good to see someone catching fish in the area. It is tough out there right now for everyone.. I would give anything to have my father alive to see him do something like that.. Way to go!!!

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    congrats to mr. williams on a nice fish , thanks cuz for sharing

5. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    That is one hog of a fish, glad to here that you guys really got into them! Maybe the bight will start to pick up Awsome fish congrats!!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice fish and definitely front page news. Thanks for the pic of the whopper. Enjoyed.:lol: :big_smile:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a nice pig of a fish!!! :smile2:

8. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    Great Fish! Do you think that big belly is full of egg or has the blues already spawned? Is the fish still swimming? Congrats Man!

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Too Early for the Blue Spawn. That fish has been feeding very nicely though. Come on Shane, get back on here and give us some details. :tounge_out:

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Very awesome fish, thanks for sharing.

11. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Did you get anything else that day? Also, what was the depth/habitat that you hooked it in?

Thanks.

CP

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks cuz for sharing that story and great picture ,Well shane looks like pop outdid you again.But hey you have a life time of memerioes there.Something you'll never forget,Congrads on the great catch.

13. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    What a catch, what a story! Thanks for sharing.

14. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    :embarassed: Wow, what a surprise! John, you're embarrassing me, LOL.

Yeah, it was some afternoon. We didn't start fishing till 1:30pm. We had 4 good bites and caught half the fish. After my Dad missed the first really good bite, we had to have a little "chat" about proper "run up and grab the pole" etiquette. He apparently learned because the next good bite produced a 30 lber.

The real news for the catch is that I was using a new "experimental" rig consisting of two hooks. One of them was for the purpose of holding the bait only. It was a 2/0 Eagle Claw trotline hook. The other was an 8/0 circle hook right above it. I rarely use circle's but I usually experiment with something on one of my poles when I'm out. The circle hook never made it to his mouth, however, and he was caught solely on the small J hook. Back to the drawing board on the experimental rig, I'm afraid, LOL. The other bit of news is that the line broke above the hook right after I put the net under the fish. As if the 45 minute fight wasn't stressful enough! Now I'm trying to get the fish in the boat when he's just barely in the net :crazy:

He (or she) was caught on a 2"x2" fillet of fresh skipjack

With all this high water, we've been looking at reduced current areas, current breaks and anything with back current. I'll not be any more specific than that right now, as there's a tourney here in 2 weeks.:roll_eyes:

I guess the fishing has been picking up some over here, as we've caught a 29, 30, 42, & the 71 in the past couple weeks.

One more thing, all my fish I catch go back in the river after a couple photos. Whether 2 lbs or 70 lbs. I have nothing against keeping smaller fish but I'm just making the point that we release everything.

15. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What type of a sinker and leader are you trying out if you dont mind me asking?

16. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    man i need to start followong you around and find out how to catch these big fish. It is a little demorilizing to hear all these stories about 50 lb plus fish and all i caught last week were a couple of 2 lbers.

17. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    WOW n Congrats!!!!!

:big_smile:

18. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I pretty much use the same sinker/leader setup all the time. I can't remember what the "official" name is but I often call it the "sliding 3-way." It consists of a barrel swivel and a snap swivel. The eye of the barrel side of the snap swivel goes through your mainline. The sinker attaches to the "snap" side of that swivel. Then the mainline is tied to the eye of a second swivel. The leader and hook on the other side of that.

I use flat bank sinker's in the 6, 8 & 12 ounce sizes. I pretie all of my sinkers with a loop of 20 lb test line. To change sinkers, I merely unsnap and put a different size on.

I use either 65 or 80lb Power Pro as a mainline. Then I use 40 lb Berkley Big Cat mono for a leader (in solar green because it looks cool :cool2: ). I've read on here that many think the Big Cat and Big Game line are identical. I've used both and believe the Big Cat line has less memory to it. I can't really say which is more abrasion resistant.

If I thought I had the answer for the "hook question" then I wouldn't be experimenting much, LOL. I've missed some real big fish with my beloved Kahle's. However, I've not done any better with circles. After my 71 adventure, it might be time to give the J hooks a shot :eek:oooh:

19. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    What is the purpose of using a 40 lb test leader with 65 lb test mainline. Why you not use a 65lb leader or a 40lb test mainline?

20. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    With that rig is your sinker free to move up your mainline as far as it wants or do you use a bead or something to restrict the movement?

I guess the point of the sliding sinker set-up like that is so the fish can take the bait without feeling the full weight or your sinker?