shame on you

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by cdog, Jul 12, 2009.

1. cdog

cdog New Member

State:
    ohio
    First off just wanted to say that I am not starting an arguement, just stating my opinion. I was browsing are sight and noticed a favorite choice of bait, used by a member, for catching flatheads was an smallmouth bass. I am sure that others also use these for bait but I, myself, a BASS member, and BOC member think that using any kind of gamefish for bait is wrong. That is almost like saying you would use baby blues or flats as bait to catch bass (if you fish for them). So for these people who use this bait and always complain about protecting the catfish, take into consideration that there are others who feel the same way about all gamefish. In closing you cant protect one gamefish if you dont protect all of them. Think about that one.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Get'em boys!

We got one that done slid in the BOC under the fence.. :angry:

Just kidding... :wink:

Some good points you made..

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    dont hate me

but i wish missouri would let ya use crappie and white bass as legel bait

boy ooo boy do they work well for cats !!!!

and last few years ya allmost catch as many crappie in the throw net as ya do shad tons of them in the 2 to 6 inch range in size .

but i understand your post 100 % where would ya draw the line on any game fish as bait without steping on the toes of people that love them as much as us catfisherman love catfish :wink:

all i know if it swims a catfish will eat it :roll_eyes::smile2::wink: its all bait to a flathead !!!!!!

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You're right. You have to understand that there's bad apples no matter what group you're going to be in. Especially a smallmouth bass, best pound for pound fish out there in the waters!

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    ive seen on the boc that some states seem to want to get rid of flatheads in certian waters to protect the game fish .

here in missouri at some of the conservation lakes they actually stock flatheads to try to help with the over population of crappie too many crappie in a lake seems to stun the growth rate on them .

and in the past I have fished 3 of theese lakes and caught some really nice flatheads :big_smile:

6. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I must have been doing something wrong. Here I thought that all other fish were put in the waters to use as catfish bait.....:eek:oooh:

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I see your point, but if a bass is going to catch me a big ol flathead. You better believe me I am going to use it. Only if it is legal. And on the other hand, if a baby catfish would catch me a fish i was interested in catching I would use that too. I CPR big fish no matter what they are. Bass get let go with the rest of them. But sorry if I can't find bait and I catch a bass, and it falls within the legal size limit. He is def going to be used for bait. Just my opinion, I welcome yours...Andrew

8. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio

9. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    So using bluegills is wrong? Or crappie? Or Bullheads? I will use a bass, bullhead, small channel cat, small flathead, bluegill, or any other gamefish I can get my greedy little flathead fingers on. You call bass a gamefish, most big flatheads call them supper. Its a part of the food chain thing. Ever been to a farm pond that has nothing but bluegill in it? Ever been to a pond that has nothing but bass in it? The only difference in the stunted fish is the bass are big enough to use for bait. In a natural setting there is always a bigger fish to eat the little fish. If a 50 lb flathead decides to eat a 5 pound bass he don't care if you think it's a gamefish.
    I don't see all out war on bass like we do flatheads.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116968
    Read post 4. And that is fish conservationist doing this all in the name of protecting his fishery. The guy is strictly a bass and walleye guy and puts a chance for a $25 bounty on flats. How many die in a month so this guy can improve his fishing?
    I don't see people using trophy bass as bait. I see and use myself some of millions of 1-2 lb bass. I caught em, I can eat em or use em for bait or throw them back. My fish, my choice.

10. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used a smallmouth bass last night for bait and I didn't catch crap on it.
    Stupid bass,It looks like I'll just stick to my bread and butter.Live Pacu LOL:crazy:

11. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio

WRONG!!!!!!

12. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think your wright they shold not use thim for bait

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will use any legally caught fish for flathead bait,,,and anthing I do believe is legal in Ohio.

But I wont use the whole smallmouth, I just cut them up and use the head.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    And I dont care about other game fish, they have there anglers looking out for them..;I dont think BASS is gonna seek more limits put on catfish.

But I do care about catfish, that is why I want to see laws enforced to protect them.

But I wont use a big bass for bait, he gets released also.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  15. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have used small bass to catch bigger ones. If its legal then why not use it. Bass are no different than any other fish in the water. Just more publisity on bass than cats most everywhere. They say to kill flats because they eat the bass. What about the other fish that do the same. Pike, musky, and gar tend to work on them too.

16. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Whats so great about bass anyways????

17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So you bass people don't think big bass don't eat little catfish? So I guess all catfishermen should hate bass. I don't hate any fish, they were all put here for a reason. Catfish for us to catch and BASS FOR BAIT.....:smile2:

18. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you are not breaking any laws by using them then use them. People using game fish for bait imo usually use them because its what they have. If I catch a crappie while catching bait and he is legal size he goes in the bait bucket too. I dont think game fish of any type are the "go-to" bait for catfish. I dont think the use of a few who could very well have fallen victim to a catfish anyway will affect the numbers of trophy bass. I would stand by this statement even if the shoe were on the other foot and people were using channels to catch a trophy bass. Just my 2 cents.:wink:

From KDWP:
    LEGAL BAIT

Legal fish bait includes artificial lures, bait fish, prepared bait, vegetable materials, artificial bait, worms, salamanders, frogs, and crawfish. No species listed as threatened, endangered, or in need of conservation may be used as bait. Any LEGALLY TAKEN wildlife may be used, including sportfish of legal length taken by hook and line.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  19. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All big fish eat little fish regardless of species. Next we're going to start getting posts from the guys that don't want us to use shad or skipjack.
    When is it going to stop?????

20. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    if it swims and its legal it's FLATHEAD bait. They can catch any fish in the water it might as well be on the end of your line for bait. :smile2: