shamano reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by lendog, Oct 15, 2008.

1. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i was lookin for a new spinning reel with the baitrunner option, and picked the shamano 4500 baitrunner, looks like a good reel and the clicker is loud enough to hear a few feet away, didn't get a chance to break it in yet and was wondering if anyone else has owned or used one? thanks.

2. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    i have a 4500, works great no problems.

vaughn

3. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    I was going to get one for saltwater fishing but i did not anyway i have herd many good things.

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i have one too and i have 9 years of faithful service from it

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    15 years of faithful service on mine. Best bait feeder reel available. The adjustable clicker is also a great feature in current.

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    wow, those sound like some great reviews and sounds like it should last, i just might be adding a couple more to my other poles, thanks

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    lendog,
    Either of the models mentioned will give you Excellent service for years to come. They are Work Horses and can put fish in the boat or on shore for you. The US models are all that Shimano can market here in the the USA. Although, they have been offering the Baitrunner name on their reels for more then 20yr. and have improved with age. You will Definitely Enjoy fishing with them and the Quality of workmanship will make you a beleiver. My Avitar was caught using a Thunus/Big Baitrunner XL. The reel is Fantastic and and provides the torque that can subdue much larger fish than you will normally contend with. GREAT Buy!!!!:wink::wink::smile2:

HOPPY4

8. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    i'll second the thunnus/bigbaitrunner nomination i have them too and at the risk of bragging i have a total of 10 shimano baitrunners/thunnus'/bigbaitrunners i have manged to add 1 or 2 a year over the last 15 years and i'm looking another next spring. my name is mark and i'm a gearaholic....

9. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I have a 6500 baitrunner and like it alot. It's my only big spinning reel, all my others are garcia casting reels. I have a question for all of you longtime baitrunner owners. I take my reels to a shop where I get all my reels cleaned every spring. The old guy there does a good job and it's pretty cheap. When I brought my baitrunner in he said he would do it, but said the baitrunners don't really need to be cleaned every year, unless you fish alot of saltwater. So how often would you recommend a full cleaning/ lube on one of these reels if fishing strictly fresh water?

10. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    i do mine every 5 years and thats with a healthy dose of saltwater. when i get home from a beach trip i pull the truck around back a give it a good rinsing rack, reels and all. and like i said i have a baitrunner 450 that i have had for 18 years and its still going strong.

11. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I really like my 6500. very nice reel...

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think you will do well with that Reel. Buddy of mine have been using his for just about everything and never had a problem with it. I also seen plenty of people with these reels and always positive. The design on them was perfect Shimano barely changed them in the past twenty years. Why fix it if aint broke? I own 3 Shimano Baitrunners not found in the States and love them. Load that baby up with some good line and I hope you catch a 40 pounder....

13. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I have the 3500 and 4500 had no problems like them alot,want the 6500 i will have to wait till spring.got to make it through winter and xmas :roll_eyes:

14. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have 3 4500B and 4 6500B baitrunners and they are the best reels for the money. I have been fishing freshwater and saltwater with them over the last three years without a single problem. When I get back from the salt I rinse them off with salt away. I have never had them serviced, the tackle shop that I buy them from said I would be wasting my money if I had them serviced. They are 100% sealed reels designed for the salt so catfishing with them in the freshwater you shouldn't have to service them for at least five years if not longer. I have had no durability problems or have had anything break. I am very hard on my reels since I use 120# braid, to break off a snag I just tighten the drag and hold the spool and the braid snaps, try breaking 120# braid on a casting reel, its hard to do. Good luck with your new reels, they give you the peace of mind that you KNOW for sure you wont have gear failures on the water.

15. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Lendog,
    By now, you should have gotten the Point that the Shimanos are Worth Every PENNY that spend for them! They do Last and do not required a Great Deal of Maintenance!!! Keep the exterior Cleaned after usage and you should be able to use them 5 + years without a major service. If you choose to perform light oiling or something to that degree, then by all means do it. Yet, the reels are sealed for a reason and this keeps the gears and berring protected. Like others said, they have been manufactured to LAST and this makes them Worth Every PENNY Spent! JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yea i think i made a good choice, i used it a little friday nite and had a couple runs and really liked the baitrunner, the clicker was loud and very smooth, picked up a small flatty a little over 13# and can't wait ta break it in on a nice one:wink:, i think for spring i was gonna pick up the 6500 for my other rod. thanks again