Shallow waters at night - For Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catmaster, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I think that the best place to fish at night is in the shallows. When the sun goes down alot of the plankton and bait fish come to the top and shallow water areas. Consequently this brings the flathead to the top and shallows. (just a little flat fishen basics for ya all.)

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i agree, at the river i will always toss one pole in the shallows

3. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    i agree also they come in close to the bank to feed i usually fish 5 to 10 foot off the bank

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Steve will agree to this, one night at the GMR we were getting runs about 1 to 2 foot off the bank

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Yep. We fish Lake Tawakoni at night, and do well fishin' in 2-6' of water. Sometimes, I'll throw my bait off to the left of where we are set up. Just a few feet from the shore line and have picked up a few that way.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The river I fish, and where I fish it you could almost cast across it in most places, so I do all my fishing between 5-25 feet off the bank. very seldomly I cast in the middle, there is no structure there. All the structure is the log piles and snags right by the bank.

7. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I agree. The shallows are where it's at at night.

8. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Thanks for the input. I will start keeping one pole in close to the bank. Maybe I'll even get one this year;) since this will be the first year I will actually be targeting flathead.

9. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Got to agree with the shallows, Its got most all the good cover and bait fish.

10. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I've had my best luck in the shallows at night for cats, but also had more problems with turtles in the shallows.

11. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I'd be too scared to fish deep water at night anyways. lol

12. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the shallows, cause thats were the bait is, thats where the active cats is going to be at.

13. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Hey Nate too bad we missed alot of them.but you cant beat fishing the shallows at night,especially about 10-15 foot off the bank

14. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Them toothy boogers bout take all the fun out of fishin for us a lot of the time.Ya can't fish near the surface no matter how deep or shallow without taking a herd of them to raise! Until at least 10 or 11 pm. Gonna have to learn the depth finder better, so I can fish deeper structure early in the evening and switch over to shallows after the gar banquet. As for turtles, I've never had much trouble if I can keep the baits up off the bottom a ways.

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish a medium small river with an average depth of about 5 feet. Most of the river will be fairly flat sand, with a bit of a channel that goes to 8 to 10 feet along one bank, usually the outside bend (duh!). I almost always fish that channel. In other words, I'm still fishing the deepest water in the area, even in the middle of the night, BUT THE BAIT"S STILL WITHIN 15 or 20 FEET OF THE BANK. I do usually cast at least one bait out toward midriver, though, onto the sand in maybe 4 or 5 foot of water, in the open, on the sand. I have caught a few of my biggest fish out there, but the fish have to be on the move.

Would you all suggest that I fish in the even shallower water on the opposite side of the river? Typically, one bank will have the bit of a channel that I usually fish (and this is the wooded side of the river, with doned trees and stumps for cover), while the other bank will be very shallow (1 to 4 feet) with a marshy, weedy edge. I just have a hard time feeling confident in just a couple of feet of water wtihout real cover.

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Since we are talking fish, maybe it's time for school! If you want to catch a fish you gotta think like a fish. Ok, I'm a flathead.... not a fathead a flathead. It is getting dark and I arise from my daylong slumber. I've been laying on the down current side of a log all day trying to get some rest out of the current. By Golly, I am hungry, I wonder if the drive through is open? I think I'll head to the head of the hole, stretch my tail a little and see if the current brings anything tasty down. Hmm... I am still hungry. Where them tasty baitfish at? I bet they're nosed up to some structure or hidin in the bushes. They can run but they can't hide for I am the supreme ruler of the water. Let's check that tree that comes in the water there. I think I see some fish hidin up there near the bank. Hey, look at that dummy shad, he's just out there thrashin around like it's nothing, I wonder if he's hurt... yup I smell blood! Dang I'm hungry! There he is, he doesn't even act like I'm here.... Bam! Got you you little bugger! Ouch What the H%$#!? There's a pain in my jaw! I'm gonna run away from here Dang that hurts! OWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! What's that light?!!?!?!?! Elizabeth I'm coming to join you! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! it's a fisherman! What's he doing in the shallow, they usually plunk crap out in the middle!

That's the life of a flathead. Luckily, this one was caught photo'd and released.

Yes, Flatheads go shallow in the night.

Shawn(OH)

17. bj78

bj78 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's freaking hilarious!!! LMAO!!

18. alh942

alh942 New Member

State:
    Sour Lake, Texas
    That is very good, I thought I was a Flathead there for a few minutes. LOL

19. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    2 of the biggest flats caught in this area, 70 and 74 were caught in shallow water. if i am correct the biggest was caught off an unbaited trotline right on the bank of the river.

20. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Very entertaining.

We all know flatheads go shallow at times at night. (Although radio tagging/tracking studies show that they still spend as much time on the deep side of the river at night.)

Does nothing to address my question. What is the highest percentage spot to fish? I basically have the choice of fishing deeper (8 to 10 feet) near cover or shallower (2 to 4 feet) without wood, just reeds and some pads. What would you do? I stay to the channels because they offer the fish more security and because the narrow shute of deeper water focuses the fish into a predictable area. The shallower stuff is big wide flats. Hard to feel like I'm focused there.