shallow water

Discussion in 'Boating' started by noodlin Will, Dec 9, 2007.

1. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    what do you guys use to get up and down small rivers with shallow water with stretches of water one foot or less deep?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    footmobile :smile2:

3. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    IMO it depends on how small a flow you're talking and how heavy the current averages. On the med. to large rivers I fish, I use my jon w/ jet O/B, but have in the past used canoes w/ TM power and jons w/ low HP props + rock guard. both work well on smaller flows as well.

What kind of access is there? paved ramps, dirt ramps, makeshift canoe/kayak launches etc.

first choice if space and ramp access allows, I say go w/ the jet.

Next would be a small jon w/ 5-9.9hp shortshaft motor
    (If I had to do it I'd choose a B&S 5hp air cooled motor on a 12' jon)
    http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engine_power/details.aspx?pid=174

and last a canoe w/ TM power perferably a 12v system to keep weight down but I know a guy that uses a 13' oldtown w/ a 24v TM that works well in water not suited for his 18' jet

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    we use to just get out and pull the boat over the shallow spots. Not a very popular method, but it works

5. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I was looking into a mud motor on my 12 foot jon boat has anyone had any experience with this type of set up.

6. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I just back from a trip a few minutes ago. We pulled the boat half the day to get the boat into small marsh creeks in the salt water.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Around here we got lots of shallow water with muddy bottom (lots of marshes). If you cant afford a mud motor, everybody usually sticks with a jon boat and push pole....the extendable aluminum ones are nice, they just dont float (ask me how I know). A closet dowel works good too if you make a foot for it. Another question i didnt' see get asked...how cold is it? Usually if i'm in shallow water i'm duck hunting, ITS COLD!! Do you have boots tall enough to pull the boat by hand? A lot of the shallow mud around here is REALLY SOFT. Good luck trying to walk out there, even if you are holding on to the boat.

8. mverick

mverick New Member

State:
    il
    For warmth we use drysuits with thermals.

I'd imagine the waders with thermals would work the same way if you don't fall down. I've been underwater for 45min in 32degree water with no gloves and face exposed. Hood on. In a drysuit with thermals. My hands were numb though. But warm blood pumps through them.

Poly first layer of close to wick the sweat away from your skin and layers after that. I recomend thinsulate. It still holds some warmth when wet.

9. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I run a factory tracker jet boat, on plane it will run in foot of water easy. berkeley jet is also a great option.

10. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I run my river pro jet boat. The river I fish most often has a couple of areas that are sand flats that are about a mile long or so with only about 6-12 inches of water most of the year.
    Another river I fish is much smaller and has spots with the water flowing over sand and gravel about 3 inches or less deep. I have yet to hit bottom going over them shallows, the trick is stay on plane till you get to deeper water to set down in.