shallow water winter tackle?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by okiekrawler, Jan 15, 2006.

1. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    hey guys i am new here and i was wonderin, what ya'll use for winter tackle as far as rods, reels, hooks,weights,etc? thanks

2. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    welcome aboard....i use 8ft. medheavy spinning rod with 8/0 circle hooks and depending on current 2-6oz. weights i fish out of a boat when fishing from shore i use 10-12ft. rods better casting and i mainly use cut shad for bait

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use the same tackle I use in the summer time. Only thing I do change is I go down to a 3/0-5/0 circle hook and down size my bait to match the hook.

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I fish for the winter blues just like summer blues... except I use a smaller hook... down to a 2/0 VMC circle with thinner superline like Power Pro. I target the same structure and catch just as many fish in the winter as summer... except fewer channelcat.

Look for standing timber, stumpfield, driftwood or other structure in 1 to 5 feet of water, within 20 feet of a dropoff into a creek channel over 10 feet deep, preferably 15 to 20 feet deep.

Fish the stumps, placing the bait as close to the stump or structure as you can with as little disturbance as you can muster. Sneak into the area with your trolling motor and use a float and little or no weight. Wintertime blues spook easily, so keep the splash of the bait to a minimum.

You'll be suprised just how big a bluecat will haunt the timber in the winter.

5. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i work in van buren bigB. did ya get in on any of that spoonbillin last week?

6. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    no sure did'nt. i was a little mad about the whole thing because the commercial fisherman from all over arkansas was cleaning out all the fish on our home water i sure hope it does'nt hurt the fishing i know in the ozark pool even when the local boys move in it hurts the fishing for up to a year depending on how long they stay in a area

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    DITTO for me. I use PENN 310 level winds, 7 1/2 foot ugly sticks, and 40 pound ANDE monofilament. Only change I make in cold weather, is scale bait size way back, and switch from circle to straight shank hooks for the winter time. Good Luck Fishin!!!!!

8. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    I am ditto as well. I run Penn 320GT2 levelwinds matched to 7'6" Heavy Action Bass Pro Cat maxx Rods. Scale The Baits Down and run a J hook because they dont burn as hard as they do in the summer. I can't get hookups with circles in the winter.

9. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    we got a net hung in one of our crew boats and had to pull the boat out of the water and cut out the net. no damage to the boat but the net was ruined. funny thing is we had to work on our boat at lee creek park, which is where (SPOONBILL CAMP) was located. they didnt seem to appreciate the condition in which we returned the net.LOL