shallow water walleye

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by bigpapa15206, Oct 6, 2005.

1. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    at my local spot there is a big flat (1-4ft) that is supposed to be good for walleye. I frequently fish this for flatties and wanted to know a good lure for trying to pull some walleye out of here.

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I catch a few walleye every spring while fishing a local shallow river when I'm fishing the whitebass/wiper run. I'm getting mine on a 1/8 oz chartreuse jighead tipped with a 2" or 3" swimn' minnow rubber body in red/orange or blue thunder. My biggest eye this year was 9 lb.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    heard a buddy of mine caught a 31 inch Walley fishing for Flatties. SURPRIZE!!!! They were using medium sucker minnows. shallow water

4. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I saw some guys fishing these flats for flatties and caaught a 14# walleye on a a bluegill. This thing was scary!

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I catch alot of eyes on bluegill in some state stocked strip pits we have here in Kansas as well. Yea...ya gotta watch those walleye when you land them...grab them wrong and your fingers will spring a leak.

6. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I read somewhere they can see the colors orange and yellow very well,so i went an got me a very bright orange rapala.Darn thing works very well for walleye from 16-28 inches.
    I have been catching them on most any type of minnow looking diving bait also.Everything from yozuri's to bass pro cheapos.Would think live minnows would work anytime also.Each walleye i've kept so far had one either in its mouth still or in its belly.

I was grabbing them by the gill but found it easier to grab them behind the head.

I think they are pretty wild lookin with their big eyes and ya gotta love them teeth!

7. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Misterwisker,
    I tip my hat to you brother. Ive been a die hard walleye fisherman for over 15 years. If your getting any over 24 inches those are some big fish. 30 inches is roughly a 10lbr and up here in MN that would a perfect candidate for a wall mount or Replica.

Keep it up and eat those bad boys. (smaller ones,) let the big female pigs go so they can keep reproducing.

8. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Larry most of the ones i catch are 17-20 inches an occasionly 20plus,i dunno if its just a good fishery or luck here but its a whole lotta fun catching them.Great in the fry pan too.

In Nj they have a "skillfull angler" awards program,They issue you a certificate for different species of fish caught if it meets certain requirements.
    For walleye it is;
    6 pounds 4 ounces if kept and must be weighed by authorized tackleshops,and fishing liscense agents.

If released they require a photo and must be 24 inches from nose to tail.

I just started this summer fishing for them after catching one accidently.

9. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I caught a walleye while I was catfishing yesterday on a mooneye rigged dead. He was around 18 inches long and I was fishing 30 feet of water off of a rocky point. He also coughed up a minnow that looked a lot like one of his offspring. Vern

10. huskyjerk#12

huskyjerk#12 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    :) I recently caught a 10 pound 30 inch walleye on a glass medium husky jerk it was an in shore catch the spot ive been fishing its not rare to see 30 inches or bigger.

11. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    When is a good time to catch walleye shallow night am pm what type of bait

12. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    When targeting them I prefer a small jig tipped with a minnow. Super light line and light action pole. minnow under a cork on the damm. We have limits here on them due to them being stocked to thin out other game fish that have stunted populations.

13. huskyjerk#12

huskyjerk#12 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I allways will stick with a nice presintation. During the day it seems that the walley will like light colored jigs and jig heads such as white, lime , orange u know the the colors and when its starts getting around dinner time the walleye will start hitting huskys i usually get them on rapalas new line of jerk baits the glass ones size in this really doesnt matter ive caught small ones on huge lures and big ones on small :confused: