Shallow water temp.

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by goingfishin, Feb 2, 2008.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Can anyone tell me at what water tempature the cats will start going into the shallow water to feed?:eek:oooh:

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    As long as there is something there for them to eat and it's still liquid don't rule out shallow water. Usually much below 40 the shad will be gone and so will the cats.

3. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    In the spring i fish shallow until they spawn, i don't really now what the temp is but it makes sense that the shallower water warms up faster and try to consentrate on a channel break that goes as shallow as two foot. I fish wintering holes in late Feb and early March but by April those fish are shallow and they are hungry. This year they will be shallow early because of the good shad kill. I know I didn't really answer your question but really depends on the kind of day and what the fish are feeling like. I know some days if you can find a couple of degree temp change it will make all the difference in the world. I will start on the breaks and work my shallower as the day gets later because the sun has had more time to let shallows get warmer.

4. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Hey guys great advice but I keep seeing the words "Channel Breaks"????? Whats the definition behind this:confused2::sad2:

5. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I can usually catch fish in shallow water (less than 5 feet deep) just about year round on punch bait or shad. Water temps were 47 to 50 on Saturday morning and we caught fish as shallow as 4 feet deep and as deep as 35. You're probably dealing with lower water temps than I am though. Try a couple of shallow spots along wind-blown banks and see what's there. Spend an hour or so trying shallow areas and see what you come up with. Don't spend more than 15 to 20 minutes at any one spot if it's not producing. Hope this helps a bit.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Kuhlcat said a mouthful...just a degree or two is all it takes.

If you catch a sunny, calm (no mixing) day, the surface will be the warmest water around, and you will find active fish there. Muddy water will warm faster than clear, and water near dark colored snags, etc will be warmer, still.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    the first couple warm sunny days after ice comes off its worth a test.

8. creekchub

creekchub New Member

State:
    OH
    I FISH WINTERING HOLES TILL FISH MOVE OUT.50 55 SEAMSTO MOVE THEM.THEN I MOVE SHALLOW.THEN IT'S 4FT TO 1FT DEPENDING ON THE WEATHER.60TO70 WILL BRING THEM TO BREEDING SPOTS.I LIKE SAND OR STONE BANKS AT THST TIME.

9. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice dog:big_smile:

10. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice bass:wink: