Shallow water Pike Fishing

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by Xinu, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Xinu

Xinu New Member

State:
    missouri
    anyone around here have the pleasure of pike fishing in 6' of water or less?

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes sir!! Been using live bait in mid Oct.- late Nov here in NE Ohio.

3. Xinu

Xinu New Member

State:
    missouri
    don't tend to use live bait when pike fishing but if i do i will to troll with suckers.mostly i use spoon's spinner's or crank baits but my favorite is top water plug's or buzz baits never really did any deep water fishing for pike but plan to when i start taking trips to "Little Bay de Noc" up in michigan

4. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I fish the Milwaukee River in my area for pike. Rapalas or other lures with a slow wiggle action seem to work good in the early season for me. As the weather gets hotter, I transition to bucktails and spinnerbaits that have a lot of flash. Spoons work OK too, but I have more luck with other stuff. I don't have a lot of luck with topwater lures, not sure why. I only use them if the water clarity is really poor.

The best all around I have found, especially if the pike are not biting are large jigs/plastics. They just can't resist them.

5. Xinu

Xinu New Member

State:
    missouri
    good stuff man i've been pike and muskie fishing in wisconsin nothing worth bragging about but sometimes i'll hook some really nice ones on buzz baits

6. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    Just got back from fishing a 100 acre lake in western NE for pike. The whole thing is 4' or less in depth all over. The fish are very spooky in this lake as they can always hear and or see you in a boat. At this time of the year they are really looking for that warmer water in the shallows. They also get blown around real bad in the wind that's always blowing out there. They will be back in tight in whatever cover they can find to avoid the surf. Water temp was about 50 degrees, normal for this time of year there.

They hang real close to the reeds/cattails or timber. Because of the wind, the water is cloudy, but noise will still put them down even if they can't see you.

You need to cast far, with a bait that's not to big to spook them off when it hits the water. And you have to put it right on their heads, even in all that wind, from 40 or 50 feet away. Miss them by a foot and they won't attack it.

You need good braided line to rip your lure out of the reeds/cattails and other weeds to you can keep fishing without fuss or bring the boat over to get unsnagged. Baitcasters help to make the thousand casts a day that are needed to cover every inch of every edge of cover.

I prefer to wade and even flyfish for stealth on this lake. Do it right and you'll nail one of these:

[​IMG]

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    what were you using for bait?
    Bill