Shallow water bite

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by big cat matt, Sep 6, 2009.

1. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Dont know if it was a fluke but me and a buddy went up a creek on the grand arm and no action.About an hour before we had to leave we tried a spot where the creek feathered out to some shallow flats.Thats where they were this morning,nothin big but some good paced action.We caught fish ,some in as little as 18 inches.They would take off and we could see the water boil where they were at .8 lbs was the biggest.Live shad and fresh cut ,water temp was 68 degrees there.:wink:

2. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    You talked me into it. I'm hooking the boat up in the mourning. :wink:

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :big_smile: good deal matt !!!! congrats on a nice catch :wink: !!!!

I dont think it was a fluke at all

last october on truman I did pretty good fishin shallow water to me it seems good both spring and fall when water temps get into the 60 degree range .

its truely a fun way to fish for sure !!!!!

I would hit that spot again and other spots with the same characteristics.

thanks for the report Matt ..

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Good deal on finding the fish in shallow water. What a fun way to fish. I got into it for the first time this past spring and what a blast. Boy am I wanting to come down and fish again.

Tom

5. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    Sounds like you had fun. That shallow water fishing is a blast when you get a 30 or 40 LBR it looks like Moby Dick boiling in the water. I took my dad drifting monday we caught 18 on this end of the lake they are bitting deep in 30 to 50 ft of water.

6. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Got in on some shallow fish today with dad,the wind sucked.It was impossible to keep lines tight.We did ok and kept a 2 limits of 5 to 10 lbers.Caught 15 fish and had one that was about 15lbs right at the boat ready to net and he rolled and the hook pulled.Live and cut shad,all were caught in 4 foot or less,some in about 16 inches!!

Attached Files:

7. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Went back to the same spot this morning and they were nt bitin quite as good.We caught 9 blues 3 channels and 1 white bass.It was pretty chilly at daylight this morning and the water temp in the shallow area we were fishin was 56,yesterday morning it was 61.Thet were nt as big today either,3 to 5lbs.

Attached Files:

8. Wanda BARNER

Wanda BARNER Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Wanda
    Sounds like you had a realy good trip. That almost looked like a cooker behind those fish. Boy I could almost smell them, yum yum , just golden brown just the way I like em.

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :big_smile::big_smile: way to go buddy !!!!!!!!!!!

that was a heck of a good day wowie congrats on a heck of a stringer :wink::wink:

way to wackem and stackem in shallow water matt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that had to be a blast

hey that boat looks familar hee hee :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

now its just a tad slimmed up i bet :smile2::smile2:

10. jweber81

jweber81 New Member

State:
    nevada,missouri
    hey matt.. was you fishing up by talley bend? We are headed back up your way this weekend to set some lines. just curious. josh

11. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    No on the upper grand arm,but I think it would be the same in other spots on the lake.In the old flooded creek channels in the back of coves,longer the creek channel the better.Use your trolling motor,shut off the out board and troll in there quiet,long cast far from the boat.It seems to make a big difference!!!

12. jweber81

jweber81 New Member

State:
    nevada,missouri
    thanks matt! we will have to try that method this weekend, their are some nice long coves there that get shallow in the backs of them that should do the trick! guess i will find out!!!