Shallow vs Deep

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 29, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Seems like there has been a lot of confusion on the meaning of shallow so what do you consider shallow to be in your situation or area? Is it 1,3,5, 10 feet? What depth do you believe flatties hold up in?

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Shallow water in the lake that I fish is generally around 5ft. Interestingly enough, the average depth of the lake is 5ft. However there is a lot of 15-17ft water around the edges of the lake and pretty much drops straight from 5 to 15ft instantly. There really isn't any intermediate stuff at all, which is why I would consider it shallow.

3. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thank you so much Wes, I have been trying for over a week now to figure out what is shallow to others. To me shallow is like knee deep.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Now is that knee deep on you or "shaq" ...???

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't know if you will ever get a true answer as to what "shallow" really is. If your fishing a mountain lake, your shallow water will probably be over my head. If your fishing a lake in Oklahoma or Kansas, your shallow water will be about 3' deep. It all depends on where your from and what your fishing. I am sure there are holes in the Ohio River, The Missouri and The Mississippi that is deeper than any depression we have in Oklahoma.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    In one of the rivers I fish, I consider anything much under 5 feet shallow. The "shallow" sand flats in the river generally run 2 to 4 feet deep, and the deeper channel side of the river will be 8 to 14 feet.

As far as what they will lay up in - I think that depends on what's available. If there's a real good snag in 4 or 5 feet of water, then they'll use it. If there's no cover and there's deep water handy, they'll use that, too.

I once found a 20 pound flathead in about 18 inches of hot water (in August) at mid day in the wreck of an old boat (just old beams and such). That river has very little decent woody cover, though, so maybe he figured that was the best he could do.

7. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    1'-5'=shallow
    6'-20'=fairly deep
    21-10,000=pretty damn deep:big_smile:

8. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

perhaps the definition of shallow fish vs deep fish as far as separating out structures as unique, would not be limited to a particular depth. our rivers here can change in depth from the now flood stage of say 20-12ft to the dry times of 1.5ft -4ft. Defining shallow at each of these flood stages would probably be different. at 12ft+ shalllow slow spots(with uniquely different flow characteristics than the main river) might run 4ft deep). durring low water when the overall depth drops to say 2-3ft or less, then you might see fish using shallow waters in the less than 1ft range. we also have a large lake system that also holds flaties, and shallow here might run 4-8ft. I think it has as much to do with flow rates as it does the actual depth.(see my other posting)

9. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree goldenshiner, shallow can be defined differently and different times. When the water is low the shallows change when the water is flooded the shallow is changed. This fish will go to where the water suits them