Shallow trolling in Lake Wylie?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wylie catter, Mar 13, 2007.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There is a spot that I really like to fish in wylie. It's about 4 to 6' deep for the most part, and probably 100 yards long. I always catch fish there, but I've always been anchored. I was thinking about trying to troll through there a couple times. I was wondering with it being so shallow, would this just mess up my fishing or could it work. I can't drift it with the wind because it's too close the some rip rap. Most of the fish I catch there are within probably 20 yards of the bank. So that's where I'm gonna start. I guess I would need to have by bait way behind my boat, and go slow. Anybody have any experience shallow trolling? Any advice? thanks

2. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    One more question about wylie drifting. Does everybody drift on the bottom all the time? I drift with almost no weight in another lake with real good success. No trophies, but a lot of fish none the less. Has anybody done this in wylie? I'm going to try it soon. I'm going to monticello this weekend. I know it works there in the summer time.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Terry look at the Lake Greenwood 3/10 report.Its not to shallow just let plenty of line out behind the boat.We catch them that shallow driftin all through the spring and at night in summer time on Greenwood.You'll find that channel cats will hit alot harder when you are driftin too.

4. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Chris I'll look at that.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Terry, I just saw this post.

Yes, there are a couple of places in Wylie that I troll/drift that are very shallow and very productive during certain times of the year. Generally they are fairly large areas in the backs of creeks where you have better control over the boat and the angle of the lines in relation to the boat. These areas give you the ability to drift or troll in a way that the lines are at an angle to the boat, thus you are not running the boat directly over the area you are fishing.

Generally I run my lines out a good ways to allow fish to move back into the area in case they were spooked by the boat. The bad part is that the shallower angle of the long lines makes snags more likely.

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Catfish in Wylie will migrate toward the backs of creeks just as the crappie do. Follow them back. When the dogwood trees are in full bloom is a nice time to rack up on channel cats drifting in the backs of creeks on Wylie.

7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I just looked out the window and my dogwoods is blooming!!

Usually I mix them up with crepe myrtles and apple trees, but I know this one is a dogwood. :lol:

8. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the responses yall. I havn't got out to wylie yet to try it, but I'm fishing this friday and I'll probably give it a shot.

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    It should be a good tournament this Friday Wyliecatter. The weather will be better than the last several tournaments I have fished, but cooler than the past week around here. I will be curious to see if it affects the bite.

See you at the tournament!! :lol:

10. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I'm planning on doing more drifting and trolling than I ussually do. So I'll see how it works for me. If it ain't going well after a little while I'll be anchored. My gut feeling is most of the fish will be shallow, but we'll see. I bet it will be a pretty good turnout.