Shallow time blue catfish on Lakes Moultrie or Marion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by withone72, Feb 5, 2007.

1. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Can anyone help out. When does the catfish go shallow on lake marion or moul. I trying to plan a trip down there again. I had a good time in oct. I got several friends wanting to go this time.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The peak time is in March and April.I have started as early as febuary and as late as may.Its alot more consistant in March and April though.Just my experiences.

3. when you fish shallow for cats.. what are you looking for depth wise,structure, bottom type, deep water adjacent,elc and are you using depth finder to actually locate fish? i never had much luck for the few times i tried shallow.

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish for the blues in shallow water after dark. Structure if you fish marion the flats are full of tree and stumps fish around the bottum of the trees this has been very productive for me:0a23:

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    You cant really use your graph to mark the actual fish because it is to shallow.I like places that are 5 to 6 foot deep with a slope down to 8 foot or so near by.Wind blown points on Marion are real good when the water gets muddy and churned up.It takes alot of patience and trial and error for shallow water fishing.Usually if you hadnt got a bite within 30 minutes move on.I dont think deep water near by is real important because I've found them miles away from deep water, way up in the flats.Like katman said stumps are real important and if you can locate some mussle beds, they are real good too.Shallow water fishin is handsdown the funnest way of catfishin, you get a whole different fight out of the fish.You get to see just how fast a big blue can move.:big_smile:

6. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have good luck fishing mussel beds in June and July on the lower lake.
    I mostly use cut bait, but have had good luck using "crickets" on a slip cork.
    Put about 6 crickets on a 4/0 size hook. Hard to believe, but I have caught some nice cats with this method (crickets).:wink:

7. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    May and September have been the best for me using on a sponge treble hook dipped in stink bait. fishing on the bottom using Sonny's catfish bait seems to be the hot bait during the summer. Also if you can get on the water around 4:00 am til 8/9:00 am you will slaughter them.. Here is a pic when we went this summer.. There is 32 catfish in the 120 qt cooler.. It is a mixture of Channel, Blues, And a few bull head. This was in August at Lake Moultrie..

Be sure to get watch for any Thunderstorms in the forcast, because you do not want to be on this lake if a storm arrises. Just be sure to know a quick evacuation route..

Lenny

Attached Files:

8. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for everyones input. We are coming down on march 26 thur 29. We are staying at lakeside marina and resort. going to have a pontoon for two days . so if anyone has any info on this area please advise. going to purchase a lake map before we come down. Thanks Darryl

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good luck Dayrl that should be a great time of year to hammer them.

10. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    hey darryl good luck when you come pm me before you leave and maybe we,ll meet up and share some lies and catch some fish:0a22:

11. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Will do catmando. I loking at lake map of lake marion. I hope i can plan out some fishing spots before we come down. It will be nice to get out of kentucky and this cold weather. Any help on plan where to fish would be helpful.

12. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The time is almost here to come to lake marion. I will be arriving on tuesday morning . I cann't wait , the guys i work with are telling me i am getting on there nerves. staying at lakeside marina formerly know as cypress marina. any pointer on where to fish. I will have a pontoon for 2 days. be there really soon.

13. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    be safe coming to SC and a lot of guys are having good luck around green island by randolphs landing in the shallow flats about 4-6" range on ocean herring randolphs has some i dont know if where your staying has them but they are charging about $2 a fish for them but we caught a couple saturday on them. good luck, and i would love to join you but im on second shift this week and cant get down

14. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
  15. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    All I can say is hurry up May 25th.I hope to be there then.I have always caught fish in the canel at that time,and drift fishing the lower lake in 15 to 18 ft of water.I am surely looking forward to then.

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good luck to everyone coming down and I hope good luck to me. I am deffitnatly planing on being back there Wed. and I hope to have another report. How was the lake level and water color catmando55?

17. extremecatfishing

extremecatfishing New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    cats are now moving into two to four feet of water. please make sure you have heavy line while fishing the stump feilds. cypress trees and big cats are deadly to light liners!

18. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    the lake level was a little high but i think this week it will start dropping and the color was still muddy especially with all that wind. i checked the weather channel 10 day forecast and so far they are calling for 80 degrees and 5 mph winds saturday and 1 mph winds at 59 degrees saturday night so i hope the tourny will turn out good

19. well i caught i FINALLY caught a few fishing shallow this Sunday a.m.
    caught 3 8-10lbs. in 2-5' of water in trees in front of rock pond(thanks Trey)Awesome fight in shallow water. Plenty of good bites. Lost a couple on my clicker rods as i was bringing them in. im used to drifting w/ the clicker off so it was exiting to
    hear those clickers screaming a few times. Maybe i just need to set the hook harder.
    oh yeah, fished for about 4 hrs. and only got bites for the first 1 1/2 hr around 9am . water temp up to 68 deg. water is starting to
    be less muddy

20. extremecatfishing

extremecatfishing New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    we are weighing in some nice fish. most of the fish are coming out of the river now.