Shallow sandbar trotlines for flathead?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by mcseal2, Jun 9, 2009.

1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was talking to a river fisherman last weekend who said I was missing the boat with how I am setting my lines. I have been running bankpoles behind current breaks in or near deep water with cover for flathead. Most of them are on outside bends. We have been doing well on numbers and caught fish up to 43lbs with quite a few between 20 and 40 over the last 3 years, but I am really looking to break 50 now. He said I should be fishing above the cover on the first shallow flat I find to catch the big fish when they become active enough to feed. Any ideas on this or success stories you don't mind sharing?

2. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I put lines in the middle of log jams, in deep holes, and on the flats just UP river of the holes. It's my belief and experience that tells me that they lay in the holes during the day and swim up river at night to feed on bait. That's why I do it the way I do it. I use nothing but live gillies or goldfish. Hopes this helps.
    Where in Kansas are you at? I'm in Western NE but I go to Beatrice once or twice a year to go set line fishing. Maybe you'd like to hook up sometime to give it a try.

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sandbar sets are a hit or miss game. Fist good sandbar above the cover look for a drop off behind the bar with current seams and washboard type bottom. Use big live baits and be ready to anchor both ends and use a jug float to pull up the line to bait and check. The best sandbars tend to have a channel of free flowing water on the bank side cutting the bar off the bank. Look for the drop off or a depression in behind the bar it should have a slight bend in the conture. Flatts when moven up river follow it like a game trail. hope this helps.

4. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the info. I have some window weights and jugs saved for my experiment, I will try that this weekend. I think I know a good bar to try, the main channel cuts between the bank and the sandbar with a bend and good cover right below. Pulled out a 27lb flathead from the cover last night on a bankpole and released him. I will post a pic if it works.

I am near Paxico KS, right off I-70 between Manhattan and Topeka, and I am always looking to do more fishing. Let me know if you want to get together and give it a try sometime.