Shallow River Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mrtwister, Jun 16, 2006.

1. mrtwister

mrtwister New Member

State:
    Kansas
    First off , let me say that after two years off this site (due to a divorce) it is sure nice to read and surf this site again.
    Recently I took a new job that required me to move away from my home town. My "New" hometown is hutchinson Ks, and I really like it there.
    A big plus is that the Arkansas river flows right smack dab through it, a big
    downer is it does'nt carry that much water and isn't that deep.
    This requires a big change in tacktics. Before the move I fished stricktly
    a little lake just outside town and had real good luck, but River fishing is going to take some getting used to.
    The Arkansas river in Hutchinson seems to be mostly dry except for one or two channels meandering across the river area.
    these channels are about three to four feet deep in most places with lots of sand bars in between them. I have to admit it ,I'm at a loss for a way to attack this river .:crazy:
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks guys and it is good to be back :big_smile:

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Really cant help you out there, but man, i thouht the Arkansas river was a good sized river..Learn something new everyday

3. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    if you can try the outside bends of the river it will be deeper than the rest of the river there. i would also look for some logjams or riprap and rocks. catfish want cover more than anything else

4. bartmccollum

bartmccollum New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I grew up near Winfield on the Walnut but have fished the Arkansas many times. Lately, the water has been lower than normal but there are holes all over. My best strategy is to find a channel that runs faster than the rest of the river. Usually have to wade out to an island. I bait with fresh shad from the area and then I catch them BLUES!! When I was about 10 yrs. old I saw a flathead that was noodled out of the Arkansas at the mouth of the Walnut that weighed 127 lbs. It's in the papers in Ark city, maybe 1981 or 82. (Illegal in Kansas,....It was confiscated.)

5. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can add a little to what everyone else said. Like they said, fish the holes and the sections with better current. If you find a hole with current, definately try that. Try it more than once if you do not catch anything the first time.

The best advice I can give you though, is move often. If you do not get a bite within 20 minutes, move. If you catch two fish in 10 minutes, and you don't get a bite again for the next 20 minutes, move. The fish will not be in large schools on a river that small. Catch what you can in a hole, then move.

I guess the point is move, move, move.

6. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I'm from Wichita and if you don't mind a little drive theres lots of good spots here. Harry st. bridge, Lincoln st. dam.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The river I fish has an average depth of only 2'7" which is pretty low. I concentrate on the holes where the faster water meets slower water. The depth may be 8-10 feet but it's enough to hold some good fish. There is a small dam in front of my house with 10-12 feet behind it. I don't do too good there but up stream where 2 feet drops into 8 feet is real good. Also try the mouth of feeder streams. They always produce.

8. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Damn. If I aint careful I just might screw around and learn how to fish by hanging around here.

9. mrtwister

mrtwister New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for all the great advice.
    I have a spot I found while scouting the river.
    It's a place where a creek dumps into the Arkansas and it's about 6 feet deeper there than the rest of the surounding river.
    It has that "Fishy Feel" to it that I'm sure we all know about.:smile2:

10. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ya gotta love those spots that just feel productive:big_smile:

11. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I fish feeder cricks that are shallow like that. My main tactic is to jump holes with brush piled in 'em. Shouldn't wait any longer than half an hour a hole. I'd use cutbait and cast right next to the logjams. Just wear a pair of old tennis shoes and pack light, wading from hole to hole if the rivers too low in too many places to run a boat. Hope this helps.

-Red