Shallow in the spring??

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by bigredcatfish, Apr 11, 2008.

1. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    How shallow can and have you caught channels in the spring??

2. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I catch a lot in the 2-4 foot range, according to my depthfinder. It may be because the lake I go to is shallow. Maybe the giant ones are out deeper, but there are a lot of eatin'-size ones <10 lb in the shallow water around here. It probably depends on where you fish. Below dams, the water is pretty deep and turbulent, and there's fish there you can't budge.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have caught channel catfish in shallow streams that leads into the main lakes, not sure the exact depth but it couldnt be more than 15 feet deep

4. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Shallow flooded grass is great. I have seen them so shallow that you could see there dorsal fins sticking out of the water. Sometimes you will just see the grass moving on top as the fish rumage around underneath looking for worms, crawfish and such. Just remember that they can spook very easily in shallow water. I prefer to anchor and make long casts from the boat in these situations. If you're banking it you can sneak up on them a bit closer. In the spring, I will catch the majority of my fish less than 5 feet deep. And a lot of those will be 2 feet deep or less.

5. shadsides

shadsides New Member

State:
    kansas
    i fish for channel with a bobber 18 inches above the bait, this works really well for me. last year i caught them 9,10,12.5,13.5,18 and 22#. last week my buddy and i where bass fish and saw a fin poking up out of the water ahead of us, so week snuck up close enough to see it was a 25+ pound channel, guess that's what i get for bass fishing.:angry::smile2::wink:

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i have caught channels and flaties right up against the bank in ponds and rivers always put one bait next to the bank

7. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When the waters in the mid 60 and they're getting ready to spawn you can tear them up 2 or 3 feet off the bank at night.

8. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I catch em about 30 feet.

9. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    the past 2 weeks we have been getting nice channel out of 10'' to 2 feet of water.they were splashing before the hook was even set.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    heck ive caught them right next to the bank,some of them while i was reeling my line in to check my bait.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    just a week ago we walked across a riffle at night, going to a point we were going to fish, and it was full of little (10") cats. i thought they were big shad at first till i caught one with my hands to see what it was. the point is on the other side of the riffle, maybe 2 foot deep, and we fished cut shad there to see what was up. we loaded up on the stripers and 2-3 pound cats there. i have a spot here at a local lake that is a big boulder going out into the water. the water is not much more than a foot deep there, and i can always get a mess of 1-10 pound channels there, until someone steps on the boulder. then it's over.