Shallow flathead catfish at night....

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheadchris, May 7, 2006.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well i heard alote of people saying flattys go to the shallow area at night.....well i go to a local pond stocked with huge flattys and one side of the lake is about 15ft deep and the other side is about 5 ft deep.well when i fish in the shallow on bottom with gill and a slip reg.i get nothing and when i fish on the deep end they hit like crazy,so is it true that they go to the shallows are not?:crazy:

2. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think it all depends on the water you fish. That pond that you are fishing a lot of the baitfish might be in that deep hole and the flatheads will go there to get food. I know on some of the ponds that I fish there are no baitfish oin the flats they are usually in the deeper water. On a big river the baitfish are usually up close in the flats away from the bigger fish, so the flatheads will get up close on the flats to feed. So I really think it is a matter of the water you fish and were the baitfish are located.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you have to approach ponds differently than rivers or reservoirs. when you say a pond im thinking an acre or less. in ponds flats will hang out in and rarely ever leave deep water. now they may roam the edges of the deeper water but thats about it. i used to work at a place that had a small pond that someone had stocked flats in. (big mistake, they ate everything!) i would do best right over the deeper area at night using a 'gill suspended under a float at about half the depth of the water. now i have fished other ponds where the depth was the same all around (4ft) and they would roam all over at night, even right off of the bank.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I agree with the 2 above posts, they will most likely be where the baitfish is, and if that's the deep water, then that's where they will be. Also, I know heavy cover is more of a factor during day flathead fishing, but it might also be a factor in this pond your fishing. If there are sunken brush piles and what not in the deeper area to help attract bluegills and crappies to that part of the pond, then the flatheads will be attracted there too. If there is nothing attracting baitfish to the shallow flats, then there will be no predators around. When most of us talk about shallow flats, I've noticed it's mostly guys who talk about fishing rivers. Good luck.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    one thing that i forgot to add was that if your pond has any type of structure at all, wheather it be a submerged standing tree, or just an old fence post, fish near it! the pond where i worked had zero sructure in it, except for 2 cinderblocks that held in place a floating fountain. flats would stack up around those blocks because it was the only structure in there.

6. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    ahhhhhh ok......

7. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I fish rivers.In different time of the year flat move up in the shallows(high water).If bait is in the shallows,flats are in the shallows. If your hungary You don't go laundary room to get food,you go to the frig in the kitcken.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    One other note on rivers (shallow flats) is a relative term. In a small river if you have a hole that is 15 feet deep the shallow flat might be 5 feet deep. On say the Ohio river you have a 40 foot deep hole the flat might 15 feet deep. Its not the shallowest water you can find that you're looking for, its the nearest "shallower" water in connection to deeper water. In the pond you describe they seem to prefer the deep water cause they are finding security there and food. Keep fishing the deep. If the bait moves shallow the flats will too. And so should you. Good luck.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    One of my favorite spots is from the river bank where the water depth drops off in shelves and then into a 35 foot hole. The depth next to the bank is about 2-5 feet, then drops off suddenly into about 12 foot of water then drops off into the hole. After dark I usually put out 3 poles, two in the 12 foot area and one in the 5 foot area. Most all my flats have come from the 12 foot shelf area. My opinion is that they prefer not to move too far from their turf along as there is food in the deeper water closer to home.

10. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In the Summer you can usually find flats in very shallow water at night. But in the Spring and Fall we usually find them in deeper water. I would concentrate on that deeper water until it warms up more myself.:smile2:

11. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Justen, Wolfmen, S Man,MYSelf All Our Hit Hitting Close To The SAme Clinders.

12. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i used to fish ponds alot and what would work for me is find the drop off, in a local pond by my house there was a point and you could cast to the deep water with one rod and the shallow with the other, give that a try if you can in your pond. you get the best of both worlds

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I also believe it depends on your water. I noticed that river flats are shallow at night in warm water especially if its near toolies and weeds and within those toolies and weeds there is bait like bluegill. That last few flats I caught were in 6 feet of water at night near weeds and toolies.