shallow blues

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Aug 16, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know blues like the main channel, but what depht do they rome at night, if i cast 50 yards out on the missisipie is that to shallow

2. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I have caught them in 2 feet..so I would say no your not to deep...:wink:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Willie make sure you are using enough weight to hold the bait in the current.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    We had a 50-60lb monster on the line a couple weeks ago in 3ft of water, adjacent to 80ft water. They do come shallow to feed. I believe it now.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    90% of our fish come out of 2 to 5 ft. water. People still look at us funny when we tell them that but thats O.K. we won a boat in 3 ft. water this year.

6. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I hear ya Johnny. I preferr fishing shallow water myself.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is very interesting. I have never thought to fish for blues in water that shallow. I will be giving it a try soon however! Thanks for the info

8. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    heck one of my favorite places is only 3 ft. deep and 20 ft. off the bank. but you gotta have a boat to get there.

9. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Tonight me and a buddy of mine were fishing the Mississippi from the bank. We were using Live Bluegills going for Flatheads. After several hours we were running out of Bluegills and my buddy took his last one after it had seen better days and cut a slit in it's belly. He cast it out as far as he could. 15 minutes later he caught a Blue that weighed 13.5.

10. Geek13

Geek13 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Being the friend that Patrickgd is talking about, I was at most 30-40 yards from the bank so blues can be caught bank fishing on the MS River. :big_smile:

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I caught one today, casting towards a sandbar in about four feet of water. Blues love to cruise sandbars and rockbars searching for mussels. (or anything else they can find to eat)
    Bill in SC

12. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A lot of the blues that I have caught have been in less than 5 feet of water as well. I think it just depends on what they have to draw them into that area.