shakesspeare reels???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by flathead_hunter, Feb 8, 2009.

1. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    looked at a shakespeare arsenal reel not to long ago at cabela's... just curious how good they are? it looked alot like my penn 320. i know it probably isn't as good but thought about getting a couple if they are any good

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Shakespeare bought out Penn. The quality isn't what it used to be on the Penns but it's still better than the Shakespeare.

We repair all types of reels @ the baitshop & the poor quality of the Shakespeare is quite evident !!!

You CAN'T beat the Ugly Sticks they make for the $$$ but IMO I'd leave the reels alone.

HTH, Elliot

3. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Have bought shakesphere reels yrs. back. They don't last for the long run. Go ahead and buy a ABU they will last a life time. Just my 2 cents. That's all I got to say about that deal.
    PEEDEE CAT

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well I can say this, Afew years ago I bought a Shakeshere Tidewater open face for a 8' ugly stick. I really love that reel. I've brought in alot of big cats with. Flatheads and blues. I put alot of wear and tear on reels and found they will hold very well. I can';t find any complaints I have with those reels.

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think their spinning reels are O.K. but I would leave the casting reels alone. I would look at Okuma for a nice inexpensive bait caster, but Abu's are top of the line in my opinion.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well my first baits were 30lc-I still have 2 of them three reels..they have been realy beat and there still in the boat:wink:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have 8 of the tidewater baitcasters and I love them!

8. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've not had any casting reels, but I've probably had 10 spinning reels from Shakespeare, and I can't say anything bad about any of them. I caught a 10lb carp on an ultra-light Medalist reel with 4lb line on a 6ft light action rod. Fish almost spooled me twice, but the reel performed flawlessly.

All of them were better models in the line, like the Medalist and Catera, etc. People dog Shakespeare a lot, but then they praise Pflueger.... same company, same parts, same factory, different name on the reel.

Penn is now owned by Shakeapeare, and some people say that they aren't as good, and some people still love them.

The Arsenal reel looks like the same as the Pflueger series of casting reels. Those reel are a very popular, with good reviews.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  10. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    There you go, they all come out of the same factory, with the same parts. Most guys didn't even know that their ABU's have Shakespeare gears in them! LOL.:smile2:

11. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have a tw30 works great

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a tidewater 30L and for the money there fine no problems here,the only thing i dont like about it is i cant seem to cast it as far as my ABU reels but it works fine.

13. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I use Shapespeare spinners because they are cheap...not fond of the bearings though when compared to my Okuma spinners. I have 2 Shakespeare casters...an SKP 2000 and a Dimension LP. The SKP 2000 is like a cheap copy of my 6500C. The Dimension LP is generally good, but can get quite fussy about line.

14. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Reading the articale about Jarden, there was no mention of manufacturing, just selling. They sound like distributors to me.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shakesper makes decent cheap spinning reels.

But I have used several of there bait casting reels, skp, tidewater t20l, and the new arsenal..In my opinoin they are totally worthless pieces of junk. they mAY Be OK FOR SHORT CAST OR FOR TROLLING..bUT i NEED TO MAKE CAST OF AT LEAST 80 YDS, And these reels wont do it.

I guess if that was all I had I would use them, but I would rather pay a little more and get an abu wich you could actaully cast 50 yds without getting a bridnest.

I have 7 shakespere bait casting reels in my closet, practicall new that I will never use again.

Now for rods, shakesper makes great rods, I use the ugly stik big waters in 12 foot, as well as the tiger rods, and white catfish rods.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heres an example I can but a abu 6500 loaded with 25-lb test mono on a 12 foot rod, as a 5 ounce sinker and a big pice of cutbait, and easily throw this rig 100 yds.

I can do the same with a shakesper tidewater or arsenal, and after about 30 yds the line start comming off the reel in bunches causing a backlash every time.

I belive these reels were designed for troling or short cast,

And I did not even mention the jeky drags they have on them

I would go back to spinning tackle before I would use a shakespers baitcasting reel