Shakesphere Tide water Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by MRR, Dec 21, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    What can you all tell me about this reel .Any good or not. From what I read on package it has a clicker ,a 3.8.1 gear ratio holds up to 330 yds of 20#line.Has ball bearings .So are they any good or not.
    The second one is a TideWater SKP2000gear ratio of 5.1.1 with 1 ball bearing. It is a cheaper reel so I'm just wondering if they are worth the money. This one has no clicker.Thanks in advance.

2. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I have one TL15, four TL 20's and one TL30. They have all landed fish up to 47 lbs. I have had a problem with the reel not reengaging automatically when turning the handle after casting but that's my only complaint. To be perfectly honest though I am slowly replacing them with Abu's due to personnal preference - love those shiny red reels!! For the money - they are fine in my opinion - ya get what you pay for!!

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you are looking at the 20 and 30, take a look at Penn GTI's, or to save a buck or so and get a tank of a reel, the 209. The Shimano TLR reel is a good one too, pretty inexpensive for a Shimano.

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i have three of them now have not hooked a big fish with it yet 20lb is the bigest one it had noproblems with that size fish

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've not heard about problems with landiing fish, its a durability problem...mechanical, not ability to hold a fish.

6. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I had 2 of the tidewaters & my buddy had a few.It seemed to backlash no matter how you threw it-we finally used them to fish staight down.I went into my buddies shop and all of his were on the shelf-he said he had the same problems.

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks guys that is sort of what I wanted to know. Think I'll just wait and either get another Penn 209 or a 6000. Got till next summer to save the money. After I save for the Mo. Garthering that is. That comes first for me this year. Merry Christmas to ALL!

8. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    MRR the tide waters are a great reel ive never had a problem with mine and i have two of em....just as good as anyother reel on the market and half the cost of an abu or penn

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've got a Tidewater 30LA and it's a piece of junk.

But it's about what I'd expect for $35 at Wally-World.

10. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i hade 2 tidewater 30lb's and they were pure junk.every time i would cast the lever would flip bakk up and make a bad grinding sound.so im gonna stick with my abu's and penn's.JMO

11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I had a ABU 5000 and 6000.. Replaced them with Tidewater 30L and 30LA.. They have landed 45 lb Flatheads with no problem.. Just like any other reel it takes practice to cast the.. I'm happy with them.. Just like everything else, it's all a matter of preference..

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 6 of em and no problems, they cast as far as my Penn's and hold up good. With that said they are not quite as smooth as my 7000 Abu. I do have a 209 that I have had for 10 years and I haven't had the Tidewaters but about 4 or 5 years.

13. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Ive got 2 of them and never had problem one out of them and have landed flatheads up to 50 lbs on them...I have had one since the beginning of summer, and i have had the other for about 4 or 5 years, and it has held up fine, i fish about once or twice a week with it on the Ohio..No problems, I would recomend it..

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv caught fish on them , but they dont hold up . maybe im just to abusive i do fish alot and catch alot of fish , but then again iv never had trouble with my abu's .
    to me a reel art not be made of plastic , the release button broke plumb off one tide water i had and drag tightens itself up on the other , i gave a new one to vern when he went to florida for a week of fishing off the peer before he got back it was junk stripped the gears

dont waste your money