Shakespeare Ultralight Combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by festus, Jan 16, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

Found me a BARGAIN Thursday at a flea market. A brand new Shakespeare Micospin spinning combo. Ultralight, rated for 2-6 lb. test. $15, no tax. The same rig would cost $19.96 at Walmart with about $2 tax. So I saved 7 bucks. I tried casting it yesterday with a 1/32 oz Popeye fly tipped with a 1-1/2" tuffie minnow under a 1" plastic float. It would cast to the first bridge piling across from the steam plant. It came spooled with 4 lb. test line. Plan on using it for catching chubs, bream, suckers, and shiners in a creek out back. It ought to cast great with a slip float and split shot with a cricket, wax worm, or redworm. A 12" crappie would really be a tussel.

Has anyone else tried one of these outfits? I'm getting ready to see if I can order a spare spool. I wouldn't doubt the spool would cost nearly as much as the rig??

BTW, mine has cork handles instead of the foam handles. The same rig with an Ugly Stick the same size is $34.99 at Walmart. I don't think it's worth the extra $20.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I have never used one of these but plan on purchasing one this year. I want one for Bluegill and hybrid stripped bass at a local lake. I'll catch them and use them for bait for flatheads this year. It looks like it will make bait catchen a whole lot of fun.

3. festus

festus New Member

There used to be this eccentric fisherman who used an ultralight outfit to fish for stripers using 4 lb. test line. He used vertical jigs and I saw his photos in the newspaper all the time. He caught stripers up to 40 pounds. Not really a good method for CPR, but nonetheless at least he could say he caught them. A friend caught a 4 lb. smallmouth on a Shimano rig this size once while crappie fishing. He had the fish mounted. The fish wasn't really that big to mount, but he decided to because it was on 4 lb test. I saw his floater go under right next to a 2' stump; he didn't notice because he was lighting a cigarette. It took over 10 minutes to get it in. Beautiful fish.

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    sounds like a winner. last year i bought a diawa megafocre rod for 20 dollars for the same thing and i'm having fun with it.

5. festus

festus New Member

Those little short rods under 5' come in handy in cramped quarters bank fishing. Especially under trees. I expect it will get a good workout at the three waterfalls in the photos. The first waterfalls is about a mile away and the other one in the last two pictures is a few hundred yards away. There's another one about 150 feet downstream that's even larger I don't have a photo of. Hooking a pound bass or 2 lb. sucker with one of them little rods is fun. Heck, even a 7" chub minnow will fight a little.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  6. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Festus,My daughter has that model you mention with the Ugly Stik.It has been very good for her.The only thing I did is lube the reel,it was dry,and put better line on it.It has caught Bullheads up to 2 lbs.

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Thanks for sharing with us, your purchase and pics.

8. charlesthecarpmaster

charlesthecarpmaster New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Festus, I used to have one of those Shakespeare Microspin combo's. I used it to catch chubs & sunfish in my creek. I also used it at the lake for bluegill. I kept the 4lb line on it, didn't change it. I even took it to Lexington with me to go fishing. I caught about 6 channel cats ranging from 8 - 12inches on it. It did great and was loads of fun! It cast an earthworm on a small hook and a plastic bobber about 40-yards. I wouldn't mind having another one. I broke the rod to mine. I picked it up about mid-ways of the rod and snapped it. My faught totally.

I gave the reel to my dad and now he uses it for bluegill/crappie with a different rod. It sticks sometimes but other than that it's a great reel.

9. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I bought one of those for my wife about 4 years ago. She catches fish of all kinds up to 5 pounds on the thing, but every season she wears the sucker out. The edge of one of the plastic gears wears out under heavy use and it won't cast or real in. She takes it right back to Wally world and makes 'em give her a new one. Not bad for 20 bucks and 3 free replacements. I think it's a cute little rod combo.

10. crazlegs

crazlegs New Member

State:
    HamiltonOH
    i have the same pole and couldn't be happier with it. i was fishing the creek for bass and caught a 10 pound channel!!! great battle and it didn't damage the rod or reel. also great for bass fishing and catching blue gill. can't wait to walk the creek this summer with it and a couple lures/spinners

11. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    I have the same combo. It is awsome for catching bait, I have it spooled with 3# test DIA braided line so when i hook a carp or channel cat its a blast. I even tie my wifes' cat's toy on the line from time to time and jack with the cat a little..

12. festus

festus New Member

That's funny because I have an old Daiwa baitcaster combo I tied a rabbit's foot onto the end of the line for a cat toy.:cowboy: