Shakespeare Ugly Stick Cat Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by vlparrish, Oct 5, 2006.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Has anyone had any problems with these rods. I currently have 3 of them, two spinning and one casting. My brother has several, all casting models. We have never so much as had a bad eye or anything on them. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any bad experiences with these rods and if so what was the problem. Vern

2. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Vernon, if those rods can hold up under the workout you two guys put on em, that's good enough for me.

3. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Vern, I am in the same boat with you no problems.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I have several of them and never had any problems as of yet.:big_smile:

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have a couple and never had a problem with them.

6. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have two and have had no problems . lov'em

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have 4..
    ~ Two of them are about 2 years old and they are still my first pick.

The ugly stick is one hell of a rod!:big_smile:

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i got this huhge problem with them vern , there laying out there in the boat when i should using them , lol

9. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I have a 10 yr old sturdy stick and its awesome

10. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I have 2 spinning combos. They are excellent! However, I found out recently that if you leave one hanging out the end of a passenger door, and your buddy shuts the door before your done packing all the gear, they dont stand up to being slammed in a car door.:crazy: But I did catch a lot of fish with it before its demise!!!

11. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Negative , these are great rods .

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I got my first Ugly Stik back in the early '80's and I have a dozen or more now and I love 'em. I have only had a problem with one. I got to stumbling around in the dark and stepped on one (I weigh 250 pounds) where the reel was mounted. I broke it into just in front of the reel and also broke the handle on my abu 7000. I got a new handle for the reel and drill the rod out and turned a piece of aluminum to fit and I pressed it in and pinned it in place with dowel pins. Now it's good as new.:cool2:

st

13. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    I got a uglystick catfish paired with an abu 6500 c3 spooled with 50 # gorilla wire. This was my first catfish rig. I love it & have had no probs with the rod what so ever. (not including glow tip that never worked as ive heard mentioned in other threads). This is actually the rig I suggest for any budding catfishermen. Not to expensive & still able to bring in the big boys.

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    most of your glow in the dark products require UV light to glow to their full potential, such as a floresent blacklight. A flashlight wont charge it properly. the white part of the top three eyes is the only part of the ugly cat that is supposed to glow. they glow id guess 3 times longer with a floresent tube blacklight than flashlight + brighter.

15. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got 3 of them like that... think we can get a rebait...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Work smarter, not harder, and be careful of your speling.

16. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    got 2 a 7' spinner and a 7' casting dont think any fish could ever hurt one, the spinner has a 6500exp okuma on it and hooked in to a 30lb+ flat with some 25lb big game on it and never had a problem

17. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    I have four Shakespeare Ugly Stick Cat Rods. Also I've never had a problem with them at all.

18. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    as far as im concerned they're the best rod you can get!

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Hate to be a wet blanket, but I did have a rod guide insert pop out. Took it to Wal Mart and they traded it for new one, problem solved. Don't think it came from there, it was a gift, but the stocked the rod, so had no problem taking it back. Bought an Ugly Stick 1120 big water rod yesterday, it rated for 12-20 lb line and 2 oz weight. Matched it to my new Abu 6500c3, fished it today. Using three rods, I caught 8 cats from 1 1/2 pounds to 5 pounds in about 4 hours of fishing. The 5 pounder was taken on the new Ugly Stick. That rod has power to spare, but still allowed that 5 pounder a bit of action.

20. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Really Like My Catfish Ugly, No Problems So Far, Great Rod For The Money.