Shakespeare TW30LB

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Stumpknocker2, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    So what is everyones opinion about the Shakespeare Tide Water 30 LB? I bought one from Wally World today, it seems to be a really smooth operating reel, with 30 lb line capacity, hence the name. All opinions welcome...

2. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have one that I've had for about 4 months. Seems to be a good reel for the money.
    Steve

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I now have 6 of em and no problems yet, I do clean them once in a while and change the line when needed, thats it.

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I have had couple of them for about a year and really like them. They work very well. Rig mine with Cajun Red 30#. There are maybe better reels but for the money these are great.

5. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i dont got one but i bought one a few months ago and it wasnt that good i think i just got a crappy one...ol yea my tide water was a 20lb hope this helps you figure out wellp see you

6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I bought one just because at the sand bar on the kansas river I din'nt want to get sand in the gears of a more expensive Abu Garcia and It turns out that I really like this reel and it holds real well in the strong current of the MO river Or the Kaw river.IMO they are worth the money.

Also My Fav. rod is the tiger ugly stik made by shakespheare so why not give there reels a try well that is just my two cents worth.

7. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    good reel for the money but be careful mine when i cast the lock flips up in mid cast

8. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    my friend and i each have a tidewater 50 and have had that happen
    my friends more than mine
    after a few time i think he burned up a gear and its done for

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I have one and I really like it, It casts great and has a fast retrieve! I haven't caught a fish over 10lbs with it yet, but i'm confident it will do just fine.

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I've got the tidewater 20.. I got it at wallyworld this spring.. It landed a 44 lb flathead with no problem.. I've got 35 lb braided line on it.. I like it better than my 6000 abu...

11. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have 2 of em that I bought this spring...I like them, they are smooth casting and all, but for some reason the drag is screwed up on both of em...

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    this is exactly what mine did i took em back.

13. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    ive got two and i love em, for the money they are awsome, but they are big and i like playing fish out so they arent that great for chasing little fish(like under 7 pounds).

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 20L I bought in new and used it once, I will never use it agin, I dont like how it cast, or the jerky drag.

15. mike5820

mike5820 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I bought a 30l a few days ago off of e-bay just to see if i can learn to cast a baitcaster i got it on a spining rod for thats all i got right now but i got to say i like it so far will see how it holds up fishing this weekend.

mike

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've got a TW30LA, the previous model, and it's a piece of junk. Got it at Wal-Mart a few months ago on clearance for about $30 or so, which was a good price at the time.

Impossible to adjust for a smooth cast, sometimes have to manually flip the casting lever up after a cast - turning the handle won't flip it every time. Handle is wobbly, drag difficult to adjust properly.

Essentially, it's exactly what you'd expect to get for $30 at Wal-Mart.

And until I spent $80 on an Abu-Garcia Ambassadeur 7000C3, I didn't really know what I was missing. Talk about a *sweet* reel, that's it...

17. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. Be prepared to set yourself up in counseling for wild spending. Reading all the posts with so much information will cause you to turn into a fishing equipment fanatic.

18. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    shoot i don't really need to say anything everyone else has already said all the complaints i have with mine i would spend the extra money for an abu myself

19. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Take it back to Wal Mart. They are good reels. You just got a defective one. Out of 4 reels I got one bad one. Wal Mart has no problem exchanging them.
    Steve

20. mike5820

mike5820 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the welcome,yell i know what you mean i spend as much time on e-bay looking at reels as i do here.
    After today theres one thing i dont like about the reel that is when i backlash it the line gets behind the spool i dont if the other reels do this.
    Guess i need to learn not to backlash.

thanks mike