shakespeare tiger spinning combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by webster_catman, Dec 20, 2005.

1. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    my brother just bought me on of these at walmart last night and wanted to see what u guys think, i wanted to start going for flatheads and thought this rod might be able to do it :confused:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well honestly I dont think you wanna go after any decent size cats with that rod and reel, esspecialy not flatheads. My dad had one that someone gave to him for a gift he tried to use it for blues and it only lasted for a few weeks before the drag jammed up on the reel......I dont recommend it for good size cats ;)

3. webster_catman

State:
    webster
    i didnt think it would really work on big fish but hey its worth a try and i can always buy a new reel, my biggest fish so far is only 5 pounds but i want to start getting into somthing bigger

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah you can try it.....it is only like $20 for the combo at Wal-Mart, it's probaly ok for smaller cats, put 20 lb test on it and it might hold some big cats but you'll probaly need a new reel for it within a month of good use.
    Good luck dude! :)

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hey give it a try only testing it out will tell. Put the biggest lb test the real can take and make sure the drag is adjusted correctly. I f you realy want big cats your gonna have to move up to a big spincast or baitcast and atleast a med to heavy rod in the 6 and half to 8 foot range.Walmart has some good shakespeare spincast poles for around thirty dollars that will serve your purpose far better, but thats just my opinion.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If thats all ya got then I would give it a try..I would not expect much, especially out of the reel.

7. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have to dis-agree with all that say this is not a good rod and reel combo. I have 3 of them and have never had a problem other than me abusing them.
    7 foot med action rod with a decent spinning reel for 20$... hmm.... no question to me... it is a good deal . And as far as the reel is concerned.... I broke 20# before striping the drag. I keep all 3 of mine rigged with 50# spiderwire (12# diameter) and have never had a problem with them. They also get tossed around pretty good and get muddy and wet alot. Still no problems. I say your line will fail before these combos do.
    David Frantz

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Okcc, What is the biggest fish you have caught on those reels? Just curious!!

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You must have gotten the only three that were up to specs, LOL!!!J/K

10. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have 3 of them that I used for several years. The only problem I had was the drag will stick, brake it lose and it is good for the day.I have caught flats in the 40lb range on them.Not a bad outfit for the money.

11. webster_catman

State:
    webster
    from what i can see i think this rod is gonna work out just fine for me and hopefully get me into some bigger fish