Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, does anyone fish the standard shakespeare tiger rods? Not talking about the ugly stik tigers, but the tiger rod. If so, what do you think of them and how do they compare to the sturdy stik? I saw a couple for a cheap price that may do well on a kayak. Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 older 6.5 ft medium and I think fast Action. Have Penn seaboy‘s on them both have not had a problem but 5 to 6 pound cats is the most I’ve ever reeled in.
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking of using them for saltwater etc. May need to pick a couple up.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
They don't have some the niceties of the ugly tigers but they'd put fish in the boat just the same...except you might have to go a touch easier fighting something in the trophy class

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have more rods than I can count, but I'm leery of using more expensive poles on the kayaks lol. I don't want to lose all my gear with a flip. We have been fishing in brackish water lately on the York River and primarily catching croaker. I haven't really found "my spot" yet since I got home. I may head down to the bank on the James and see if I can catch a few catfish again today. I usually bring my ugly stick tigers with my 706z on it. Last time my son knocked it over the dock, so I went swimming haha. Thats what's got me thinking of cheap gear again.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have a Tiger rod 7' model. I got it because I like the handle on those. Should work well in a kayak. Also look at Bass pro shop Predator rods. Both the 7' models and the 7'6 models. Brought in alot of bigger fish with a 7' model I got. Good for livebait and cut bait.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,262 Posts
Kayak catfish used to keep some foam pipe covers zip tied to his rods. Said it would float them if they went in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts