Shakespeare tidewater

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catBob, Nov 4, 2007.

1. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    bought 4 of them i have to say for a $30 reel im relly impressed! great boat rod and will hold some line took a 20+ gar no problem

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I had 2 for about a week and I hated them.

They did not hold up well to casting larger weights.

3. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I use my Tidewater 30L for trolling and light casting (8 oz. max). So far, it's held up quite well, but I use it only twice per year. I've had no problem with the fish I've caught with it. However, 7# is the largest I've landed.

-- Rich

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    That was my very first baitcaster i think for the money they work very well.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i also have 2 of the tidewaters and i fish them hard.im on the water 4 to 6 dats a week and i fish for and catch a lot of big fish.these reels have done a good job so far but i traded a shotgun for 2 7000 and as soon as i wear out the tidewaters im changing over to the abu s.

6. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    My tidewater is still doin' fine. I like a little faster rate of retrieve than 3+to1, but it has strength and holds a lot of line. I like some of the better abu's better for casting.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My first bait reel I bought used for 5 bucks and I am still using it as a second reel. You cant beat em for the money

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I have one that I use constantly. No complaints here.

9. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 2 of them and have caught fish up to 50 lbs down here in TN and they have been great reels. I didn't like them when I used to set the hook because I never felt like I could reel down to the fish. But for fishing with circle hooks they are great.

10. JustinW

JustinW New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    still cant decide tidewater for $35 or pen 209 for $50???

11. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Spend the extra money on the Penn 209 and your grand kids will inherit a great reel!!!!:cool2:

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i dont have any experience with the tidewaters, i have had a lot of bad experience with shakespear reels though. I love my abu 7000 and my 6500's. I think they are clearly worth what i paid for them.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Go with the 209.You won't regret it after you get used to it.

14. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    im a diehard abu guy and have had some bad experiences with the tidewaters. but if there workin for ya then thats great and hope ya get many more years of service out of em.

15. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have 2 Tidewater 30L's that I've used for years and they haven't failed me yet. They are great reels for the catman on a budget and they will handle a big fish.

16. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    If I were you and my budget allowed me to purchase the garcia or the peen reels over the shakespear, id definately go with either one over the tidewater. I had one of the wal-mart tidewaters, the baitclicker was like trying to puul on a log chain, when you tried to set the hook the line would slip on the spool and no matter how tight the drag was set at times it wouldnt let you gain on the fish while reeling in. I have said before, there are good and bad in all products, but i believe the garcia and the peen reels are above and beyond the rest of the reels out there. This is just my opinion, everyone has there own, but just remember you get what you pay for. Hope this helps....rspd507

17. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I don't know if I'm too late to this show or not,

But... I would have to say I'd go along with those who have recommended the 209. I have a lot of personal reasons for this, but the real reason for my vote for the Penn lays in the proliferation of part available.

Since there are so many 209's out there, and they have been around so long.. you can get parts for them cheap and easy. So when something wares down (and it will eventually as with all "mechanical" devises), you can get the parts easily, and cheaply and do the repair your self.

With the product line of some of the newer reels changing every year, it just doesn't make sense to buy a reel today that you might not be able to get parts for a couple years from now when your on a budget.

18. Walsvault

Walsvault New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I also have a tidewater i just got it to learn how to use baitcasters.After a days fishing i was a pro.To me they're good reels but only one bearing,thats the first thing i look for so i just went and got me a Pfeauger contender 30.But still the tidewater is decent but if you can aford to spend alittle more $, i'd get something a bit better

19. young fisher

young fisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have had a lot of luck because i use 30lb berkley big game and berkley big game bait caster rod.

20. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yes theese are a great reel for someone who only fishes every now and then but when you fish 4 days a week the dont last you can catch them on sell for 21$ thats the 30L I buy a few of them when I see them on sale for that price I call them the dispossible reel