Shakespeare Tidewater Reels....

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CATFISHcrazed, Apr 30, 2008.

1. CATFISHcrazed

CATFISHcrazed New Member

State:
    ky
    HI. i have both of the reels... the older type and the newer type.... the newer ones i will say have a better break system and it seems the bait clicker is a bit louder than the older ones... one thing i did have to do was take the reel apart and stretch the spring that is attatched to the baitclicker arm... it was so tight that if you was bank fishing it would dang near pull a pole in the water,.. after this small mod i wouldnt trade anything for them... i have them spooled with 40 pound neon green line and ive never lost a cat when hooked... for some reason they seem to cast alot better then the 1st version also
    "as far as long casting" ill save you some backlashing now... these reels need alot of weight... 4 ounces at least for long casting... use a small bit on the tentioner and the rest is all in the thumb... if your just starting to use these reels go to a park and try casting out a few times before getting a rig set up... STAY AWAY FROM THAT RED CAJUN LINE!!!!... i have no idea why but this line with these reels "new or old version" just does not like that suff.. its backlash city.. as soon as i went to the neon green from trilene i never had another problem.... good luck fellas!!
    :smile2:

2. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have 2 also and havn't had a problem with them at all. Nice reels

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    To be honest, if I had to rate the Shakespeare Tidewater reels as good, better or best, I'd rate them as good. They are adequate enough to catch nice fish, but for me, not nearly as comfortable to cast or reel as many higher end reels. I rate my reel very high on my priority list of importance to success, and since in the grand scheme of things, even the high end reels are cheap enough to not break the bank. Glad your's suits your needs, and the price is certainly right on them.
    Bill in SC

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am glad you like your reels, that is all that matters..I bought one of the newer ones last year, and could never cast worth a darn with it, even with heavy sinkers.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i got one once from the late great phillip gaines (deltalover) a 30l without counter. i dont like the counters. to bulky and no need inland for that.

i wish now that my friend past away i had kept it. they seemed like ok reels. i had no problems with it. just sold it and my skp 2000 shakesphere after i bought 2 6500'cl3 abus for $40 on clearence. and a 5500 cl3 $35 and a 6600 d5 was $99 for $59. after the awesome deals on clearence i got my wife wasnt happy so i sold the two shakes on catclaw rods to even some of the cost out.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have the old Tidewater spinning Baitfeeder for several years now.Aprox.6 lb.Bowfin seem to wish to check out every one of my reels.No complaints so far.It has not been heavily used.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I have one of the new tidewaters. I have the red cajun line on it and have had no problems with casting it yet. I just keep thumb pressure on the spool. So far I think the reel is ok but time will tell. If I dont like it the price is cheep enough that no lost. I will just go and buy ambu reel.

Tom

8. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what is the difference between the old an new reels.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Great question!

Does anyone on here have any experience with both the old and the new ones?I know that most will be buying the new reels,but many buy used at times.Also,we are often dissatisfied with a product that eventually solves it's problems and becomes a good to great product.Unfortunate,some never change or even get worse.

Also,all products have lemons and a great product for one can be terrible for others.I have known great casters who consider brands loved by many great casters to be junk as they "could never cast with one but can cast with the other".The same goes on with firearms.Is it the shape of your hand,the exact position your thumb is attached?Who knows.Add us all together anyway you chose and very few will come out dead on that very narrow average line most things are built for.

How about it?Any old and new owners that can give us their personal opinion on the reels and the difference if any?

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I have two as well and use the berkley big game line series on them. Very tough reels and not deep in the pocket for what they cost!

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have 8 tidewaters and I love them all. They are a quality real for a reasonable price. Good luck to everyone.

12. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have the newer version also. I do get backlash at times, but I think it is do to weight. I have caught some 6 & 8lbrs with it and no problem.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i got one and right after i got it the tension cap and bait clicker fell off it. wallyworld wouldn't take it back so i continued using it. i was impressed with how strong this reel was for how little i paid for it.

14. Rputman

Rputman New Member

State:
    nc
    I have 6 I like them pretty well . Hooked a 26 inch striper last week end with no problems. Time will tell.

15. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like them for the price, they cast well for me. I used them for learning before I invested in a higher end reels. I use a 3oz/4oz sinker with 30lb power pro.

16. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think that you are better off getting a penn 209 off ebay for 15-40 bucks.

I love my penns and they will handle a 70lber no problem.

17. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I just got a new Tidewater30.My old one got pulled in the water last year.It seems likr the newer model casts easier,the drag is very smooth even at high tension and the clicker is much lighter.Oh,and yhe drag can be set a lot higher,a real cocern if you fish near heavy cover and need turning power.The entire reel feels stronger built,too.

18. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I think it was the red cajun line. I have tried it on a variety of different reels with the same results. That crap sucks. Its not the reels, its the line. I've tried it in abu 5500 as well as 6600s and a 7000 and my shimano curado, same crap result everytime.

19. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    ive been debaiting on gettin one of these reels.

20. bowhunter66064

bowhunter66064 New Member

State:
    ks
    couldnt agree more wouldnt waste my money or take it if it was free