Shakespeare Tidewater Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TOPS, Dec 4, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have not seen any talk on the tidewater reels. Am I the only one that use these reels? Mine have performed well for me and the bait clickers are among the loudest out there. :D How many more members use these reels?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I use them, great reels! Excellent price too! Something I've noticed about them is that they work great on a Ugly Cat rod (made by ugly stick). And Tidewater reels are not like (for example a Penn reel) they dont last but so long before you have to replace them, I call reels "Disposable reels" I mean they usually last for at least a few years if they are taken care of properly, which is great considering they usually are only about $35-$40.

Good luck! :)

3. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I have 3 and think they're great!! They cast as far as I want and can pull in anything I get on my hook.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive got a tidewater 30L and it works fine for the money.the only problem i have is i tend to birdnest more often and easier on it then my ABU 7000.But there good reels.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes because Abu's have little brakes inside of them that decrease the amount of backlashes you get. Abu's are easier to cast alot of times. But usually reels with those little brakes in them cost alot.

6. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I bought a 30L and a ABU7000 at the same time. The wife claimed the 7000 and I can't get it back. The 30L is hard to beat for the price. I use it for Tight lining in 20 to 60 ft water.The extry power of the 4.3 gear is significant over my ABU6000's. It is harder to learn to cast. Basically I like it.

7. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I have had 4 of the 10L reels for about 4 years. Good reel for the money.

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have one tidewater 30LA, no complaints, very good reel for the money.

9. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    all four of my big rods have the 30L on them. i love um. i bought one new from wal-mart for the 40 bucks an the other three off e-bay an got um for 10 bucks a piece an one of them was brand new. i mostly use them in the ohio river for big cats, stripes, an spoonbills. the only thing i can tell you is you have to learn to cast with more of a lob than a forced through. an with a 6 oz weight an 4/0 hook with a cut skippy or shad i can get 60 yards easy. i can stand on my deck an through it to the fence on the other side of my pond a acre away. if you pay atintion to your reel i use 30 lbs test an the line is too small in dia. to keep up with the eye , witch a force cast will bird nest , an a lob will make the weight an bait pull line as it needs it an this was the diferance on cast for me. but no two people fish the same

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Since all I have heard is good things about these reels, I think I need to get me one and try it out...I love my abu's and penn's..But heck if they work well and are alot cheaper why not.

11. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    i like em too anyone try the tidewater gold thats the 99.00 one there nice too , i sell both reels there nice

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I have the Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner Spinning Reel - It's the best Spinning Reel (for Cattin') that I have - "Works Great"! :D

Bert :cool:

13. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have a 30la and it is paired with a 10' heavy action rod. 20# berkley big game with a 60# shock leader.
    Nice reel, and even nicer for the price.

It's kinda funny how I got this setup. I went to Wal-Mart to get a few packs of 2oz. weights. Well I didn't get the weights because they were out of stock, but I did take home a nice setup.

I do not recomend getting this reel for your first baitcaster since the braking on it is less than perfect with a large weight. I would imagine that you could modify the brake with an aditional washer to give a bit more tension on the spool.

David Frantz

-edit- I use a 5oz. egg sinker with this setup.

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Here are a couple of my reels