Shakespeare Tidewater reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Rohaus, May 8, 2009.

1. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Anyone have any experience with this reel. I received one as a present and as I have never seen one before I thought I would see if anyone had any information on them. It is a TW30L and seems to be a sturdy reel, any info would be appreciated.

2. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    hey steve i have 6 of the tidewater reels i love them. I have all mine strung with 50 pound and they are tough. I just snagged a 87 pound spoonbill last week with one and it held up great. i do all my flathead fishing with them

3. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Thanks for the info, now I need to find the right rod to mount it on.

4. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Steve, I bought one a few months back and for the price at Wal-Mart of like $35 you can't beat it with an ugly stick:smile2: I've had no issues with it, it casts smoothly, and you can get some decent distance out of it. The clicker isn't very loud, but is plenty loud enough. The drag system seems to be pretty good. Overall they're good reels IMO. I see how long they hold up, I see no issues pulling in some 50 or 60 lbs fish with them. I have Berkley Big Game 40lb on mine, and its paired with a Shakespeare Sturdy Stick MH action 6'6 pole.

5. freakyfish

freakyfish New Member

State:
    florida
    I like the one I have.But mine can't cast anything under an ounce.Or could be just me.

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I got one as a gift and have been happy with it. I use it to float a big perch over log jams and rock piles for flatheads. Haven't caught one on it yet but I will. I put mine on a Hvy action 8' Meathunter rod.

7. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I am going to give it a try and see if I can catch a good size flattie on it.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I had a tidewater30.It was a good sturdy reel for the money.I had it on an 8ft uglycat rod.My brother has it now-5 years & no problems.

9. BluecatSC

BluecatSC New Member

State:
    SC
    I have a tidewater to. They are great reels. Like some others said you have to have at least 1 1/2 to 2 ounce to make it throw good. But hey other than that it is a great reel.

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    98% OF MY STUFF IS SHAKESPEARE...I LIKE THERE STUFF ALOT....... CHEAP ...........DURABLE.......... THEY QUIT MAKING CRAPY A$$ STUFF ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO EVEN THEN THEY WERE SOOOO CHEAP YOU CANT EXPECT ANYTHING HUGE OUT OF EM......

I GOT A $20.00 TIGER SP COMBO I GOT 50 LB BRAID ON AND LOVE IT !!!! MY FRIEND HAS THE SPINCAST MODELS AND USES THEM FOR YELLOW TAILL FISHING SO SOME OF THEIR STUFF IS VERY DURABLE!!!!!

I WISH YA LUCK ON THE REEL FRIEND!!!!

LeRoy

11. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i cant find the baitcasting tidewater reel in ohio with out the line counter on it if someone find s 2 of them i would like them let me know where i can get 2 of them need new flattie reels in a hurry but dont like the 1s with the line counter to acward to cast is all

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive got one they are good for the money,it dosent cast as well as my ABUs but it gets the job done.i think you will like it.

13. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I was looking at them today at Walmart, they seem to be some pretty hefty sturdy reels, I think I'll have to get one before I head down to Derby, IN. Hey Will, have you went and looked at the Walmarts in your area? The ones I seen today did'nt have the counters!!!

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You could not give me one of those reels...I bought one new and just could not get any casting distance out of it..But the spots I fish I need to make cast of 100yds, I guess for close in fishing it would be OK.

15. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    you can get Wal-mart to get them for you but you will need the upc number.
    I have five of them all on Ugly Cat rods they take some getting use to
    but they hold up very well and after you get the hang of them you can cast them a country mile.