Shakespeare Tidewater 30LCL line counter reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fat_fish55, Mar 16, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey wondering if anybody has heard about or used this reel
    thx

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    When I was up at Truman a couple days ago, I talked to a woman that lives around there and she says that she uses line-counter reels all the time. She said she liked them especially for drift fishing or downrigging when you need to know exactly how deep you are fishing. Personally they look ok to me too. But I do have to say this: if you plan on getting a tidewater, do NOT get it from wal mart. I think Wal Mart has a contract with Shakespeare or something so they can get the 'same' merchandise for cheaper prices. My Tidewater (ordered from CC) has a metal star drag, and the ones from wal mart (even the ones inside the case) have either a plastic or graphite drag. I am fairly sure its plastic, although I cant be completely sure. I get the feeling that may be the reason why some people talk smack about tidewaters; they got them from wal mart and they failed.

:0a26: and please heed my warning :)

3. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I have been using the for years. no problem what so ever. I have caught veryn big fish on them. Just got the remodeled ones for my distance casting. Excellent reels for the price, plus the in-fisherman staff used them for their cattin and for those 100-250lbs gator gar. Thiers video if any question about thier capabilities.

4. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks guys i did buy one and like it so far,

it did start to not reel in smoothly so i took apart and put together and it works fin again , i did nuthing to it

i hope it isnt a sign for more problems to come
    i was usin it snaggin and cought 2 small spoonbill a 12-15 lb carp and a 6 lb sucker :)

5. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    a friend has one and he likes it