Shakespeare Tidewater 30L

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Jnorman, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Jnorman

Jnorman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was trying to find a good baitcast reel for bank catfishing, so I needed something that casted along ways and was sturdy. I figured I would have to spend at least over $100 to find something worth while, but one day walking through wal-mart I found a shakespeare Tidewater 30L on the clearance isle for $25. I thought what the heck and bought it. And it was worth it. That reel has out performed all of my buddy's $100+ reels and has held up to much use. For $30 bucks you can't beat it.

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I have a Tidewater rig that I bought from Wal-Mart. I've been using it for two years for saltwater fishing, and I haven't had any complaints on the performance. However, I use it only occasionally, and I do need to check the drag periodically.

-- Rich

3. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I recently put a Tidewater 30 on a 8' American Spirit rod. Used it only once. It did cast good, but the retrieve was awkward - like the reel wasn't balanced. It kept torqueing the rod as I cranked it - not the best of descriptions of it, but as close as I can describe. Might give it one more shot before I go with the 7000.

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    they always say you get what you pay for im going to say they will not hold up as long as the abu or the penns but have had good luck with mine so far i have put 2 40+lb fish in the boat this year with mine an didnt have any problem at all

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the boc jared , iv had tidewaters and they are cheap and inexpensive both . one of my biggest problems was the drag tightening its self , i had to constantly keep adjusting it , the other problem was as paleocaver said they are out of balance . then theres the line release switch it broke off on one of mine .

you may not have any trouble out of yours but id just as soon save or spend my hard earned money on an abu or penn at a comparible price , for 50 bucks you can get a 6000 abu that will out cast out reel and out last a tidewater even under the hardest and roughest conditions

6. Jnorman

Jnorman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree that abus and penns are better. However, I have not seen any around here for under $70. And I'm sure tidewaters will not hold up as long as more expensive reels. If I had a choice of reels barring the price I would defenitely not choose a tidewater. However, I think for the price you can't beat them.

7. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have to agree, but i do have a few extra penn reels for sale , nice 309 (50.00) and two 209s 40.00 a piece, nice shape good drags , no pitting, you pay postage.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C.
    The Tidewater reels are adequate if you are fishing from a boat and need power to land large fish. You mentioned the desire for casting distance. I
    am of the opinion that the Tidewater will not equal the Abu 6500 or 7000 series reels in casting distance. I have owned a Tidewater and gave it away because I only bank fish and require distance. Only my opinion. Good luck.