Shakespeare Tidewater 30L

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by tnkatman, May 31, 2006.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Just Bought A Shakespeare Tidewater 30L Reel Off Of E-Bay & Received It In The Mail Today & I Really Like It, It's The 2nd One I've Bought. I Gave $20 For It (Including The Ship./Hand.) In My Opinion This Is A Great Reel For The Money, I Also Own Abu's, No Penns Yet, Maybe That Will Be My Next Reel. But In My Opinion, For $20 You Can't Go Wrong W/ A Tidewater.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have heard alot of good things about those reels, how well do they cast compared to your ABU'S?

3. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on that purchase! A friend of mine owns one and says its got a good smooth cast. Hows yours? By that i mean was it taken care of?

4. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I gotta be honest I love my tidewaters, They have'nt let me down yet. They cast as good as my Abu 7000. And for under $30 if one wears out or gets real dirty i'll just buy a new one.

5. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    They Cast Good & Smooth, I'm Really Impressed, Especially For The Price I Paid For It. I Don't Think You Can Go Wrong By Getting One .

6. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I got a set of tidewaters havent ever had a problem with them. For the price they are dang good reels. They dont cast as well as my abus but right behind them.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have one sitting here on my desk as we post. it is junk. broke 4th time out.
    took it apart but don't see anything out of place or broken. I like them when they work. does anybody work on them?

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I've got one too. I used it for the first time this past Saturday. All I can say is it cast good and smooth. Don't know how well it does on a fish. My wife put the ole skunk in my tackle box. She caught 3 and I didn't catch a thing.:embarassed: I was impressed with the way the reel responded and the smoothness of the cast. Almost as smooth as my Abus.

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I like mine. It casts well and has a fast retrieve. I haven't caught anything over 8-10 lbs yet, but it handled that fine. Best part is I bought it as Wally world so if it breaks, they'll replace it! :big_smile:

10. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I have 6 Tidewaters. 4 of them are about 4 years old and never had a problem with any of them. I have four 10's and 2 of the newer 15's. The newer style reels seem to cast a lot better. The 30's just seem a little too big for me but that's what most people use since that's the only size Walmart has.

11. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I ordered a Tidewater T20L from Catfish Connection last year, and have never had a problem with it. It is a heavy duty reel, I tell you what. Clicker is nice and loud, the drag is smooth, and the only thing that casts better than it does is my Penn. Just be careful when buying them, because if they have the black plastic star drag, then they were cheaply made for wal mart, and you may have some problems down the road.

And you are absolutely right. They are the absolute BEST reels for their price that I have seen.

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Oh Yeah I Forgot To Add That They Have A Nice Loud Clicker. I Think These Are Really Good Reels For Folks Like Myself "On A Budget" But Remember This Is Just My Opinion.

13. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I have one from 2004 and just bought a new one. So far havent had a problem at all. Cast great and a great clicker.

14. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Im currently using seven of these reels fishing Santee Cooper in South Carolina and have been impressed with them so far. They are matched up on Shakespere Tiger or Sturdy Stick rods and have had no problem taking on blues and flatheads up to 50 lbs. If I can get several seasons out of them I will really be impressed.For the price, you cant beat them. I used to spend a bunch of money buying top brand bass reels such as Shimano or Diawa only to have to buy new reels every year. My brother got me to try one of his Abu Garcia reels that was about 5 years old and ive been sold on them every since.

15. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 4 tidewater's and think they are great, they cast almost as good as my 209 penn's, and I think they are smoother.

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I know a guide on Santee and thats all he uses of course he gets his free because they are one of his sponsers. I know that they cast very well and handle large up to (according to him) 90 lb fish. when I went out with him it did handle 30-75 lb fish without a hitch.