Shakespeare T30L Good or not?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Az Birddog, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    I saw one at Walmart for 35 bucks but figured I'd check here and see what y'all think. I looks good and seems heavy duty but I don't want to get another "Rhino" if you know what I mean.

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    my buddy uses them and has landed some big cats with them. they aren't the rolls royce of reels but will get the job done. he hasn't had any issues with them and he has had them for awhile.

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    my buddy uses them and has landed some big cats with them. they aren't the rolls royce of reels but will get the job done. he hasn't had any issues with them and he has had them for awhile.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They will work, but not much better than a rino,,,Casting distance is horrible.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I like them! Very affordable and dependable. I also have a couple of Abu's. I prefer the shakespeare, Abu's cast further, but I like the bulk of the tidewater

6. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have one and i like it. i got about 3 yrs of abuse in it right now

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I had one til a thief relieved me of it,funny he grabbed the tidewater and left my ABU 700 which was right next to it. I had no problem casting nearly as far with it as the abu,12 ft rod helps. The reel itself tho not a caddilac,was a good functional work horse.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you are fishing from a boat it is a solid reel. If bank fishing looking for casting distance, there are better choices IMO. Good luck.

9. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    thanks for the feedback. I am still on the fence about it but might just spend a few more bucks and go for an Abu 7000 or Penn 209.

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I've got 2 of them and they are ones I use on my boat when I need one for heavy cover. I set my 2 7000's and my to Tide waters out evrey time I fish out of my boat.

11. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I have one and just landed my new pb 46lbs on it a few weeks back. I had to get him up of the bottom quick and then he ran right into some heavy current. the reel performed just fine with the drag set right. It will definitly get the job done!!!

12. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    Picked one up along with a new 7' Uglystik MH. That thing is more like a winch than a reel. Should get the job done.

13. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    I've got one that was given to me, can't beat a freebie right? It casted like crap when I got it due to abuse and being dirty and unoiled. I can now get it out to about 75 yards with 3oz of weght and using Sufix Seige 25lb test on a MH American Spirit 8' Nite Stick. I polished some components and did some tweaking and tuning on the drags and sanded some rough unfinished spots on the spool where it was kind of catchy, good reel for little money and it is a WINCH.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHIN'!!!:cool2: