Shakespeare sturdy stick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by vlparrish, Jan 8, 2006.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I bought a couple of Penn 209s shortly before the holidays off E-bay and wanted some good rods for them for flatties. I already had considered the sturdy sticks, but shopped around before making my decision. A Ba$$ pro shop was recently opened within an hour from where I live and I got a chance to check it out this Friday. I thought their catfish selection was minimal and sucked. Especially the cat maxx rods fairly expensive for my taste and solid black. They would make a fine day rod, but unless you had a lot of light they would be extremely hard to see at night. So this afternoon I ordered two MH 6'6" sturdy sticks for my Penns. I would have prefered to get the heavy action, but didn't feel like changing the roller tip. Personally I don't like a roller tip rod. Vern

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've got one of those rods with a Shakespeare 30L reel on it, that I received as a gift. The rod has handled some pretty big fish with no problem, but to me it just feels a little un-balanced (the rod, not me). Not sure why, unless it's the large reel, and the butt section is just a little longer than I like. I still like the rod a lot, though. I've caught redfish with it up to around 40# and cats around 30# with no problems from the rod or the reel.

3. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I bought one the same day I cought my Penn 9m and still have then together today and man thats a stout rod!
    Never gave me one bit of trouble, and I love it
    But I do wish it was a little long and a bit more action

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I they are well worth their price. I think CC has them for $16

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Hats Off to CC. I ordered 2 sturdy sticks Sunday evening and received them Wednesday afternoon. Wooo Wooo, now if I could get out and catch some fish with them. Vern

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Those are about the best big fish rods out there for the money. I mean 60lb cats barely dent these rods.:eek:

7. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    If they had a couple more eyes on em i would never buy another rod other then the sturdy stik,i just ordered antoher 6'6" MH casting rod and also a spinning rod for my wifes new reels and i bought myself one of thier power rods just cause im so curiouse to see if they are any good,they are a bit more then the strudy stiks in price but they have more eyes on em.we shall see i reckon.

8. seaswirl

seaswirl New Member

State:
    Pa.
    well guys, this is a very cheap strong rod to use, i have a penn 310gti on 1 of them, and a spinning reel on the other!! they are great for deadsticking, but if i were to throw lures, this is not the rod to use, it is a heavy rod!! great for a boat pole!!

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would trust the sturdy stik on any sized catfish, it is a very strong rod.

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    All of my rods are ugly sticks. ever hear the saying you been beat with an ugly stick!! well that should be shakespeare's new motto

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Here are my uglies!!

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    late last season I purchased two sturdy sticks for my baitcasters and I must say that they're the best rod's I've owned personally. I hoisted in a 33 and a 41 pound flatty and they were almost skiing on the water. these poles with a good braided line and tough reel is pretty much like a winch!!!

13. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I just bought two of them yesterday at Gander Mtn. for $20 each. They definately seem like very good river rods for catfishing from a boat. They are definately sturdy and am anxious to catch some fish on them. In regards to the Power Rod I bought one of them 2 years ago for $25 from GC and the rod has been outstanding no issues with and it's definately a good rod for catching big cats. I have a 209 on that rod, and will be putting 209's on the sturdy sticks. Great value for the money.