Shakespeare Sturdy Stick VS Shakespeare Ugly Stick Catfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by vlparrish, Jan 5, 2007.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have three each of the Sturdy sticks and ugly stick catfish series rods. All of my sturdy sticks are casting rods and two of my ugly stick cats are spinning and the other is casting. I like both of these rods and have never had any problem with either of them. The ugly stick catfish series is more of a lighter duty as the MH is rated for around a 3 ounce sinker. The MH sturdy stick is rated for up to an 8 ounce sinker. The sturdy stick is a bit stiff for my preferences, but for an inexpensive rod that will handle the big bruisers you can't beat it. The MH Ugly stick catfish is a bit limber for my taste, but is better suited for fighting fish because of the smooth tip flex. I recommend either of these rods for a fisherman looking for a good buy on a light budget. Vern

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Momma got me a little gift card for BPS. Think the Ugly stick MH catfish would work for that Penn Peerless No. 9 that I ask ya about ? She's wondering why I haven't picked up my Xmas present yet....
    :smile2:

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Gary that would make a great combo. That is what I have my Penn 9 on and it is one of my favorite combos. Vern

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I just put one of my Penn 209's on a 7 foot Ugly Cat. Tried it out this week and it worked just fine. Appears to be a very good rod blank, though the line guides aren't the quality on my Big Water Ugly Sticks, nor are the windings as nice. But, I'll get another when I buy a 6500c3 again. Hopefully, this year.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jerry, I prefer the sturdy sticks for the 209, they make a great flathead combo and the Ugly sticks are a bit limber for a heavy reel like the 209 in my opinion. Vern

6. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i am looking for a good low price reel, where can i find this sturdy stick you speak of

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Marshall, catfish connection has a good price on them. I'm not sure where else, but I'm sure something would pop up if you did a search. Vern

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

I haven't found that to be the case with my Big Water 1120's and my Ugly Cat, at least not for fishing waters relatively unobstructed. My problem with the Sturdy Stick is its weight. I fish from a kayak, and the things are a bit too heavy for casting from a low position and to handle, especially with the weight of a 209.

9. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    I have been looking at the sturdy sticks i think i will get 2 of the mh and put zebco 808 magnums of them for the kids lets see them tear that up.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ugly Stik catfish are my favorite rods, I love mine with an Ambassadeur 6500 on it!

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Thanks for the tips Vernon. I haven't really thought about sturdy stiks but i just might check one out pretty soon.