Shakespeare spinning reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CatfishHateMe, Feb 24, 2007.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    has anyone used the shakespeare spinning reels from walmart. i believe they are called alphas. around here they sell for just over 20 bucks and say on the packageing great for catfish and stripers. im pretty sure there was some other name on the package after alpha but i cant remember. my new catfish rod/reel combos came with a really nice rod but the reel isnt the best quality and knew when i bought them i was going to replace the reels eventually but didnt have the money to do so until i saw these reels. they seem like good quality reels but im not sure. seems like if you dont pay $65+ your getting junk when it comes to reels.

2. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i dont know yet...i have a shakeshpear tiger i havent got to hook anything with it yet i've tried but nothing....but i did have one for bass fishingthat i used for catfishing it worked good

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    jason thats not true bout the reels and price , you can get good reels for 20$ i bought a catfish spinning combo at walmart for 29.95 for my son and its held up good iv caught several fish on it when he wasnt with me infact he's caught several as well some of the fish were in the 20 to 30# range you can also find good buys on ebay if you watch

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Jayson I have 2 of the bigger alphas both have been good reels, and i have caught several cats over 20# on them. the drag could be a little better but is OK for most fishing

5. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I have two of those huge Alphas, and I agree with Dafin. The drag is not the greatest. But that reel will bring in some big fish. Easy to to take apart and re-grease too.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Look at the Penn Captiva's, nice reels. I paid $40 for a CV 4000, but the larger capacity 5000 isn't much, if any more. Also, the Shimano Sedona, as well as the one just under that series, are pretty good reels. The Sedona is usually $50. Daiwa also makes some decent reels under $50.

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 2 of the big Alpha reels, they cast great and work very well with 20 and 30 # line, I haven't had any drag problems, could be because I haven't caught a big enough fish on one yet.

8. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I caught a 28 lb blue on one in swift water. I bent the rod that goes through the spool but it still brought the fish in. My son took the spool off and straightened the rod and is like new.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have 3 or 4 of the alphas, 2650's and 2560p's. I have had no problem with them. However, I just bought a Berkley Fusion combo from Wal-mart for $25.00. Haven't used it yet but I think it will be good.

10. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have one of the big alphas and like it, plan on getting another one soon.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U can get good reels for $20 bucks, I own a Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner Spinning Reel, Its better than Alpha, but they dont make them any more.

12. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    lol, i was kindda strectin it when i said $65. lol, the combos i got cost me 30 and the reels were about 65% plastic parts. so i think its a go now, next trip to wally world with money im pickin up 2 of em. thanks:smile2:

13. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have a Alpha rod and reel that I got for christmas when I was 12 I am now 34 and still fish with it every summer every trip.

14. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Have one alpha spooled with 17 lb test. like it really well except for the drag is weak. good crankin power though. Also bought a Quantum Optix from Mr Walton. Love it alot. Drag is so much better. Holds the same amount of line and is built alot better. Paid 22 bucks for it and am delighted

Dru

15. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    when i was lookin at them i noticed the handle that looked really oversized and i feel in love with it :big_smile: looked to me like it had some power to it. and theres 2 things you cant have enough power with, and thats cars, and fishing reels. LOL!

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Havn't heard of the Alphas but I have an old Shakespear Sigma reel that came with thier Sigma rod. I used that old rod for at least a decade and it held up just fine! IMO Price don't really reflect quality although thats what they'd like you to believe. Just use your best judgement and you'll be fine, I'm sure of it!

17. BigOlGooduns

BigOlGooduns New Member

State:
    Texas
    Some of the walmart stuff is worth the money and some isn't. I like shakespear stuff and can't say that I have complained much about them. I prefer mitchell though.