Shakespeare Spinning Catfish Combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 12, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
  2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    sleekcraft

Where r dee Yellows that r makin them thar 10#ers??

:wink:

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have seen people use similar wal-mart combos. You should be ok for 10lbers just my two cents....

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WAAA?????:0a28:

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i figure the MH rod will fight the fish more than the reel will

6. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've used the cheapo KMart and Wally World combos, cause I'm pretty cheap. They should make for a usable rod and reel combo. I would , and have, use one before I quit fishing or not go. Sometimes the best equipment is out of reach, finiancally. I would use it. I personally like a long med action rod for that kind of fishing, over the hev/med rods.

The one thing I WILL NOT use is cheap line. The first thing I do is reline all of my reels with a good line from Berkley or Stren. I've been using Cajun Red on my "cats only" poles though.

Jerry

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Cheap line is a night mare i tried that once a long long time ago.... If you wanna be fiddlling with tangles and snarls wind knots stay away from that $2.00 special...lol.. Sleek craft was just saying you should do fine with those combos I see many people using them. I personally don't like those Shakespeare Alpha reels but that is just me. :wink: As long as you like them that is all that matters really....

8. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois

LOL, if I had he money back from those cheap Shakespeare 20# rolls of brailing twine of mono that Wally World sold as fishing line that I bought since high school....I might be able to buy a decent roll today!

The Alpha reels have alot to be desired, that is for sure. I like the Shimano FX series over them, but its hard to find them around here. But they do come in such pretty colors.....

I was just trying to say, badly I might add, that they would haul in some channel cats in the weight range they are after. The combo I used was on clearance for $10. I put $7 worth of good line on it and used as a spare rod and my beater combo for a long time. Felt like it had casted beercan metal for gears, but never misssed a lick or fish.

Jerry

9. TccaJack

TccaJack New Member

State:
    Illinois
    nothin wrong with that combo, but you might want to check out the cabelas whoopin stick combos i use a 9ft med action that came with a fish eagle reel have had real good luck with it i have landed 20+ fish on it.

10. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree with bacardipr05 on the alpha reels .I bought my youngest son last year a small spinning combo with a alpha reel .It was junk.after he used it maybe 3 times you couldnt set the drag on it ,it was either hardly no drag or tight as a board.I took the junk off and threw it away.

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

ive got into many fight with the local bassers here in havasu

they throw there 17$ lure out and get it caught on our line and say "srry usually i catch fish here"

they get mad cause they loose more money in lures than i have in line and kmart specials :smile2:

as they cus and leave the dock i laugh my A$$ off cause im using shad and caught more fish than they did :big_smile::wink::smile2:

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was just doing some reading on striped bass fishing and such.... Man those lures can be costly just thinking about getting hung up and losing $ ten dollars makes me feel ill........:that_hurt: