Shakespeare skp2000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Tiny, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've recently restocked my catfishing boat with the Shakespeare skp2000's and I really like them. They're an abu knock-off or really very similar to a red abu 6500c model with about the same spool capacity. They have better reel handles than the abu 6500c .. they're bigger handles and the knobs won't pull off like some of the 6500c3 models will. they have 4 centrifugal brake blocks in them for great cast control. the clickers are pretty much useless though. They have one ballbearing which is on the crank shaft and bushings on the spool spindals. overall they're nice reels for $29.99 at walmart.

the skp3000's aren't nearly as good ... their levelwinds tend to spool the line up too much on one side and I haven't figured out a cure for that yet.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Tiny, I think the new 6500's will beat the skp2000 anyday. just my toughts but if u like them thats fine. The only reel I like from shakespeare, is my tidewater freeliner spinning reel. all my baitcaster from Abu.

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I think that is a great price for an affordable reel.

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I gave two of those skp2000 reels away because the clicker you can hardly hear and the drag system won't hold hardly anything. You can tighten the drag as tight as you can get it and still easly pull line off. I guess the old saying is true about you get what you pay for and those reels proved it to me. Now I have 7000C3's and a few Penn reels.

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bought one thinking the same thing...looks just like an ABU and less money. WRONG! The first good fish I got on it I lost because the reel got bound up and would not reel. With nothing on it would cast good and retrieve good. I tried it again, same thing binds up. Took it a part and the only thing I can figure is the level wind is sloppy enough that it hangs up if you put tension on it. Mines a paper weight on my desk now. For a few more dollars get the ABU in my opinion. You get what you pay for. If yours works good for you good luck, I hope you never lose a fish of your dreams because your reel hangs up.

6. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    I bought one because of the price and I am not to impressed with it so far. I will be using it for speckled trout fishing from now on.

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Sounds like this reel is not fare-ing too well. I'll have to check er' out and see. In my humble opinion... I'd rather spend the extra 20.00 and go with something like a Shimano or Abu that will last for decades with proper mantainance. Just my 2cents.. :embarassed:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    It has been said many times and I will say it again.YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. This is not meant to be smart but all of us has fell into this hole one time or another. If you are going to spend your money then wait and spend it on quality.

9. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    cj I'm a fan of abu's as well but when ya gotta buy 8 reels at once then abus aren't an option. I've found them to be pretty dependable so far but maybe it's just me. when I first got them I took them apart and lubed the bushings with silicone and also the levelwinds and gears and I haven't had a failure yet and they've been used really hard too. everyone that's went with me has commented on them asking how much they are and I tell them and they say "you're kidding" and I say nope ... I'm not. if I had the funds to get abus for my boat I'd have eight 7000c3's or HS's as they're by far my favorite reels but then you're looking at spending $800 for reels and I really didn't want to have to go take out a loan hahaha.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I understand Tiny. When money is a problem u got to do what u got to do.

11. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I had one for awhile , while it might not be the best ,I still had no reel problems with it .

12. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I bought an SKP 2000C last year because I'd never owned a baitcaster before and figured I'd just get a cheap one in case i didn't like it. I've taken it fishing maybe a dozen times since then and caught my biggest catfish ever on it (see profile pic). The only problem that I've noticed is that the drag isn't the smoothest in the world, which if you've been spoiled with an Abu, it'd probably tick you off, but all in all they aren't bad for the price.

13. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I had one do the same thing .. it's the crank bearing locked up ... salt water from my bait tank got on the crank bearing and it seized up on an skp3000 ... I"ve got to get another bearing for it.

these reels have gotten tested pretty hard in about 20 trips and an average of well over 100 lbs of fish caught per trip.

I think if you don't take them apart and lube them before you start using them with a good teflon or silicone lube and oil then they probably won't hold up at all as they didn't have much or also any quality lube in them when I got them.

14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the advice Tiny. I have put a little pressure on the level wind while cranking the handle a it locks up the reel just like it did when I had a fish on. I have also found that if I remove the nut on the level the small half round piece that runs the groove does not set far enough down to keep this from happening. Maybe I just got a bad reel, but it seems pretty sloppy in that whole area.

15. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've got 2 skp 2000's already spooled with 20lb. solar green Berkley Big Game that I'll sell to ya for 39.99 with free shipping!

16. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    That sounds like a better deal then Wally World. Sorry, Ramrod, I didn't mean to do that to you.

17. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There's a drag?

18. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    that's about 10 bux more than what walmart sells them for and I think I'd rather get them new with warrantee.

I figured it up and I purchased these 6 reels on sept 22 last year and had them out 20 times catching 2450+ of fish on them by nov 25 without a failure.

when you get them you have to take them apart and lube the bushings and gears with a good lube like abu silicone lube or teflon lube and take care of them. I blow the levelwinds out with "liquid wrench" before each trip also so there's no dirt in the levelwinds. they've held up pretty good so far. I'd imagine I'll wear them out pretty good by the end of this year when I'll restock the boat again with new rods and reels and I'll probably go back with the same kind if they're still available then.

19. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think Ramrod was talking about both reels for $39.95 and I don't see how lubing the reel would help the drag at all. I caught five pound fish on those things and with the drag tightened down tight I still had to use my thumb to control the line pulling off. A lot of small fish can amount to a lot of pounds when added up, its that one big fish that I want a reel that will handle it. I also think that everyone on here that has owned one of these knows what I'm talking about, you get what you pay for and these are just cheap reels no matter how much you try to justify them. Most people defend what they own and over the last 50 or so years I've owned quite a few brands of reels. I still have a Pfluger Supreme on a bamboo 5' rod made back in the early 50's that still works fine but that don't make it a good reel for big catfish.

20. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    it's a mistake to put more pressure on a bigger fish than you do on a smaller one .. a lot of people that go with me will try to turn big fish and they think the bigger they are the more pressure they gotta put on the and they'll lay their thumb across the spool and snap 40 lb test like it's nothing. if you got one that slipped with a 5 lb fish and the drag was as tight as you could get it then there was something wrong with the reel. I just started this thread to show my experiences with them and I had a failure on the skp3000 but it was my fault by allowing the saltwater to get in them and that one I didn't use much so it sat long enough with the salt in it that the bearing froze up on it. I document all my fishing trips pretty well and that's how I knew how much these reels had caught from when I purchased them to the last trip last year on nov 25. I'll find out this year just how good these are as they're going to get a lot of use .. they cast good and are durable and have better handles on them than the regular abus for $29.99 ... the tidewaters might also be a better option as they're a lot bigger with a big power handle for just $5 more